Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab every 2 minutes, 24 hours and once a week Post 302117946 by Bobafart on Thursday 17th of May 2007 10:03:36 AM
Old 05-17-2007
Hello SHell_Life

seeing that I am 34 years old -- I haven't had "homework" in over a decade! Smilie

I have a crontab currently as:

10 * * * * path/to/file

this executes every 10th minute on the hour -- I wanted it to execute every 10 minutes.

I have read a few tutorials and understand the basics of crontab but I am unable to find examples that execute every 2 minutes.

2 * * * * would execute every 2nd minute after each hour, wouldn't it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert minutes to hours, minutes, seconds

How would you convert lets say a 1000 minutes to hours, minutes, seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vozx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in day-hours-minutes-seconds format

Hi experts, I am reading two log files and passing dates as output to a txt file. Code is given below: echo "Start Time:" >> Report.txt cat start.log | while read LINE1 do echo $DATE1 >> Report.txt done echo "End Time:" >> Report.txt cat end.log | while read LINE2 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Hours and Minutes from file and comparing with current

Hi, Time till when the application should run is indicated in a file. First line is hour and second line is minute. file: 10 55 Means my application should run till 10:55. Now in a shell script, i am trying to make that logic but with no luck. min=`tail -n 1 /file_with_time`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SGD
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job for every five minutes and between hours

Hi I need to run a script every five minutes and it should run between 07-15 hours all days. How i can achieve this... i tried like this */5 07-15 * * * /scripts/CreateFtpData.sh It throws an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process Time in hours or minutes only

Hi i want to print the time of a process in hours only..(or) in minutes only.Is there anyway to print the process such like that when i give the commnand like following #ps -eo pid,time PID TIME 412 01:49:32 481 00:03 it shows in HH:MM:SS format: Could anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split numeric value into hours:minutes:seconds

I have a problem. I am working on a Call Detail Report system. Come to find out the phone switch does not report in seconds. It is a 5 digit field that reports h:mm:ss The problem is I have 1-5 digit numbers Ie 1 = 1 second and should be reported as 0:00:01 22 should be 0:00:22 321 should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: truecall
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find files modified by hours instead of minutes

Is there an easy way to find files modified by hours? If you wanted to find something modified by like 28 hours then I know you could do this: find . -mmin -1440It is pain to break out a calculator and calculate in minutes. Could you do something similar to this? I know I don't have the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How many hours do you spend at unix.com a week ?

This includes the time you spend reading threads, answering them and all the other activities at unix.com on an average for a week. This poll is about your time with unix.com :b: Poll and if possible just drop a short note about which part of the day you spend the most !!! I hope this is... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
32 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert days hours minutes seconds to minutes?

Hi, please help with below time conversion to minutes. one column values: 2 minutes 16 seconds 420 msec 43 seconds 750 msec 0 days 3 hours 29 minutes 58 seconds 480 msec 11 seconds 150 msec I need output in minutes(total elapsed time in minutes) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu.badugula
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl one liner in bash script not replacing hours and minutes [HH:MM]

Hi I want to replace time stamp in the following line PROCNAME.Merge.exchMon.CODE.T_QSTART 08:45 read assuming the new time stamp is 09:45 ; the line is getting replaced as below :45 read I'm trying to use the perl one liner in bash script perl -pi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie87
4 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)