Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 'cp' and slack space
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory 'cp' and slack space Post 302117845 by viRaven on Wednesday 16th of May 2007 05:22:06 PM
Old 05-16-2007
'cp' and slack space

Does the 'cp' command copy the slack space of the copied file to the new location(e.g. CDROM, TAPE)?

I've read that slack space is only copied in a bitstream copy/backup. Is the 'cp' utility a bitstream copy?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

3. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

4. Slackware

Firefox 8 install on slack 13.37

Slackware 13.37 stores Firefox 4 in different directories than is suggested for Mozilla says to use for Firefox 8.0 (/opt/firefox). Which should I use? If I use /opt/... how do I remove the old 4.0? Will this screw up the icons and will I need to reset them? How? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
4 Replies

5. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk --- produce the output in pattern space instead of END space

hi, I'm trying to calculate IP addresses and their respective calls to our apache Server. The standard format of the input is HOST IP DATE/TIME - - "GET/POST reuest" "User Agent" HOST IP DATE/TIME - - "GET/POST reuest" "User Agent" HOST IP DATE/TIME - - "GET/POST reuest" "User Agent" HOST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slack message multi line from UNIX script

Hi OS: Redhat Version 7.5 Enterprise Trying to post message from shell script to Slack channel and trying below code: text="$msg" text1="$lmsg" if ] then echo "No text specified" exit 1 fi escapedText=$(echo $text | $text1 | sed 's/"/\"/g' | sed "s/'/\'/g" )... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
13 Replies
slack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  slack(8)

NAME
slack - Sysadmin's lazy autoconfiguration kit SYNOPSIS
slack [option ...] [role ...] DESCRIPTION
slack is a master command which coordinates the activities of its backends, which variously: o determine the list of roles to be installed on this server o create a local cached copy of the role files from the central repository o merge file trees from subroles into a single, unified tree o install files onto the local filesystem o run scripts before and after installation Options you give to slack will be generally passed along to the backends where relevant. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a usage statement. --version Print the version and exit. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Can be specified multiple times. --quiet Don't be verbose (Overrides previous uses of --verbose). -C, --config FILE Use the specfied FILE for configuration instead of the default, /etc/slack.conf. -s, --source DIR Source directory for slack files -e, --rsh COMMAND Remote shell for rsync -c, --cache DIR Local cache directory for slack files -t, --stage DIR Local staging directory for slack files -r, --root DIR Root destination for slack files --no-sync Skip the slack-sync step (useful if you're pushing stuff into the CACHE outside slack). --no-files Don't install any files in ROOT, but tell rsync to print what it would do. --no-scripts Don't run scripts -n, --dry-run Same as --no-files --no-scripts (CACHE, STAGE will still be updated) --role-list Role list for slack-getroles(8). -b, --backup Make backups of existing files in ROOT that are overwritten. This option defaults to on if it is not set to 0 in a config file or disabled with --nobackup on the command line. --backup-dir Put backups from the --backup option into this directory. -H, --hostname HOST Pretend to be running on HOST, instead of the name given by gethostname(2). --preview MODE Do a diff of scripts and files before running them. MODE can be one of 'simple' or 'prompt' (See PREVIEW MODES, below). --diff PROG Use this diff program for previews. --sleep TIME Randomly sleep between 1 and TIME seconds before starting operations. Useful in crontabs. PREVIEW MODES
Preview functionality is new in slack 0.14.0. I haven't quite worked out how things will work, so this usage is somewhat subject to change in future versions. I thought I would try it this way and see how people like it. In 'simple' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will present a diff of the files and scripts. In this mode, slack will not run the preinstall or fixfiles scripts, and because of this, it may provide some false output about permissions changes to files. In 'prompt' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will diff the script directory. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will stage the scripts directory, run the preinstall and fixfiles scripts, and then diff the files in the stage with those in the root. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will install the files and run the postinstall script. So, the 'simple' mode is easy to use, and will be accurate if you don't use fixfiles. The 'prompt' mode will be accurate if you use fix- files, but requires some interaction. Why can't we just have one mode that works with fixfiles and requires no interaction? Well, that would require slack to understand what your free-form fixfiles executable was going to do, which would either require some kind of universe simulator or would require you to write your fixfiles in a less free-form way, which would make slack less like slack. EXAMPLES
To install all the roles configured in the role list for a server: slack To install a specific role: slack rolename To test a new role before checking in the changes: slack --source user@workstation:/home/user/.../slack rolename To avoid killing your master server when calling from cron: slack --sleep 3600 FILES
/etc/slack.conf SEE ALSO
slack.conf(5), rsync(1) Administrative commands 2004-10-22 slack(8)