Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory find the 5o largest files in a directory Post 302117810 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 16th of May 2007 11:54:07 AM
Old 05-16-2007
Code:
find . -type f -exec  du {} \; | sort -nr | head -50

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Finding largest file in current directory?

I was hoping to get some assistance with this C program I am working on. The goal is to find the largest file in the current directory and then display this filename along with the filesize. What I have so far will display all the files in the current directory. But, how do I deal with "grabbing"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AusTex
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

largest size directory in unix

I want to find the which directory under a directory occupy the maximum size is there is any command to find please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list largest files in a directory & its subdirectories

I need to find the largest files in a directory & it's subdirectories. I'm not sure what options on ls -l will work to give me this. or is there another way to do this? Thanks, igidttam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find largest file

Hi, 1)I have XX directory and have lot of files ,I want to find largest file in that directory 2)how calculate the size of file in MB. Thanks, Mohan (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
15 Replies

5. HP-UX

find the largest file in whole system

find the largest file in whole system (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find largest files

Hello, i am on linux 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp , and i would be very greatfull if someone could help to find the largest files on that server. I know i can find files with find command or list them with ls , but is there a way that i could list let's say 10 biggest files on server ? :o (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to find largest files in a directory

What is the best way to find the largest files in a directory? I used du -k|sort -rn |less. I got a results for this. But if I used the following command , I got another result...a different order in the same directory. Why is that? ls -la |awk '{print $5," ",$9}' sort -rn|less. I saw that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find largest file.

Hi All, Is there a direct Linux command to find the largest file by checking recursively in all the directories. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Find the largest file in the given directory.

Hi Experts, 1. In unix how to list the largest file in given directory. The answer will in single line statement. 2. I have Sun solaris live CD .I try to compile sample c program using "CC compiler".But its shows "cc command not found". Please help on this. Thanks in advance.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkl
4 Replies
SyncExec(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SyncExec(3pm)

NAME
Proc::SyncExec - Spawn processes but report exec() errors SYNOPSIS
# Normal-looking piped opens which properly report exec() errors in $!: sync_open WRITER_FH, "|command -with args" or die $!; sync_open READER_FH, "command -with args|" or die $!; # Synchronized fork/exec which reports exec errors in $!: $pid = sync_exec $command, @arg; $pid = sync_exec $code_ref, $cmd, @arg; # run code after fork in kid # fork() which retries if it fails, then croaks() if it still fails. $pid = fork_retry; $pid = fork_retry 100; # retry 100 times rather than 5 $pid = fork_retry 100, 2; # sleep 2 rather than 5 seconds between # A couple of interfaces similar to sync_open() but which let you # avoid the shell: $pid = sync_fhpopen_noshell READERFH, 'r', @command; $pid = sync_fhpopen_noshell WRITERFH, 'w', @command; $fh = sync_popen_noshell 'r', @command_which_outputs; $fh = sync_popen_noshell 'w', @command_which_inputs; ($fh, $pid) = sync_popen_noshell 'r', @command_which_outputs; ($fh, $pid)= sync_popen_noshell 'w', @command_which_inputs; DESCRIPTION
This module contains functions for synchronized process spawning with full error return. If the child's exec() call fails the reason for the failure is reported back to the parent. These functions will croak() if they encounter an unexpected system error, such as a pipe() failure or a repeated fork() failure. Nothing is exported by default. fork_retry [max-retries [sleep-between]] This function runs fork() until it succeeds or until max-retries (default 5) attempts have been made, sleeping sleep-between seconds (default 5) between attempts. If the last fork() fails fork_retry croak()s. sync_exec [code] command... This function is similar to a fork()/exec() sequence but with a few twists. sync_exec does not return until after the fork()ed child has already performed its exec(). The synchronization this provides is useful in some unusual circumstances. Normally the pid of the child process is returned. However, if the child fails its exec() sync_exec returns undef and sets $! to the reason for the child's exec() failure. Since the @cmd array is passed directly to Perl's exec() Perl might choose to invoke the command via the shell if @cmd contains only one element and it looks like it needs a shell to interpret it. If this happens the return value of sync_exec only indicates whether the exec() of the shell worked. The optional initial code argument must be a code reference. If it is present it is run in the child just before exec() is called. You can use this to set up redirections or whatever. If code returns false no exec is performed, instead a failure is returned using the current $! value (or EINTR if $! is 0). If the fork() fails or if there is some other unexpected system error sync_exec croak()s rather than returning. sync_fhpopen_noshell fh type cmd [arg]... This is a popen() but it never invokes the shell and it uses sync_exec() under the covers. See "sync_exec". The type is either 'r' to read from the process or 'w' to write to it. The return value is the pid of the forked process. sync_popen_noshell type cmd arg... This is like sync_fhpopen_noshell, but you don't have to supply the filehandle. If called in an array context the return value is a list consisting of the filehandle and the PID of the child. In a scalar context only the filehandle is returned. sync_open fh [open-spec] This is like a Perl open() except that if a pipe is involved and the implied exec() fails sync_open() fails with $! set appropriately. See "sync_exec". Like sync_exec, sync_open croak()s if there is an unexpected system error (such as a failed pipe()). Also like sync_exec, if you use a command which Perl needs to use the shell to interpret you'll only know if the exec of the shell worked. Use sync_fhpopen_noshell or sync_exec to be sure that this doesn't happen. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.8 2005-02-04 SyncExec(3pm)