Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Run shell script as a daemon
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run shell script as a daemon Post 302117797 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 16th of May 2007 10:53:25 AM
Old 05-16-2007
Sam,
Use "cron".
In unix, do a man page to it:
man cron

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applicatoin cannot started, becos daemon did not run

hi, i had an applicatoin which is not running cos one of its daemon is not running.. i get the applicatoin to run by running the daemon first... its manual job... so quite cumbersome.. i have backups in the night, with the crontab -l entry with logs written. the logs indicated successful... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I would like to know Would you run the ‘identd’ daemon on UNIX servers?

Would you run the ‘identd' daemon on UNIX servers? can you please Explain. thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script as a daemon

hi, can i run a shell script as a daemon ? the shell script looks like this : can this be run as a service ?: thanks regards shann (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: massoo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a daemon to run in background

I am trying to create a service to always run and monitor a script that has a tendency to hang, we could not find what is causing it to hang so are in the process of completely reprogramming just about everything, however, that will take upto 6 months. So I need to create this to monitor the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run this script as a daemon process

Hi, HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to run as a daemon

Hi, I have one query that is suppose if I have a script that pick up some files from source folder and put it into destination folder , and I want this script to run after every 1 hour, to make it configurable as per that I have options like crontab and nohup but when I test this script I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a bash or shell script run as daemon?

Say i have a simple example: root@server # cat /root/scripts/test.sh while sleep 5 do echo "how are u mate" >> /root/scripts/test.log done root@server # Instead of using rc.local to start or another script to check status, I would like make it as daemon, where i can do the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to integrate all the systemctl commands into a shell script to verify any daemon/agent service?

Hi, Can we integrate all the systemctl command into a shell script to verify any service with all the options of systemctl if service integrate with the operating system service management tools to deliver their functionality. sudo systemctl start <service_name> sudo systemctl stop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
auth/cron [-c] DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to instructions in the files /cron/user/cron. It runs only on an authentica- tion server. Option -c causes cron to create /cron/user and /cron/user/cron for the current user; it can be run from any Plan 9 machine. Blank lines and lines beginning with # in these files are ignored. Entries are lines with fields minute hour day month weekday host command Command is a string, which may contain spaces, that is passed to an rc(1) running on host for execution. The first five fields are integer patterns for minute 0-59 hour 0-23 day of month 1-31 month of year 1-12 day of week 0-6; 0=Sunday The syntax for these patterns is time : '*' | range range : number | number '-' number | range ',' range Each number must be in the appropriate range. Hyphens specify inclusive ranges of valid times; commas specify lists of valid time ranges. To run the job, cron calls host and authenticates remote execution, equivalent to running rx host command (see con(1)). The user's profile is run with $service set to rx. Cron is not a reliable service. It skips commands if it cannot reach host within two minutes, or if the cron daemon is not running at the appropriate time. EXAMPLES
Here is the job that mails system news. % cat /cron/upas/cron # send system news 15 8-17, 21 *** helix /mail/lib/mailnews % SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/auth/cron.c SEE ALSO
con(1), rc(1) CRON(8)