Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memory stack
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers memory stack Post 302117760 by sysgate on Wednesday 16th of May 2007 09:17:08 AM
Old 05-16-2007
Processes running with owner "root" are not affected by the limit, still, you can change the values with "ulimit -s newvalue". Non root user should not have bigger limit then RAM.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

memory stack problem

Hi, I am writing a C program under SCO Unix. I have a memory stack problem but do not know how to go about fixing it. I have tried running INSURE but that does not detect any problems. Essentially the problem is that the memory address shifts on return from a routine. I pass a pointer to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkeagy
3 Replies

2. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

4. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stack Memory

I have a java process that piles up the stack memory. ulimit -a core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited file size (blocks, -f) unlimited open files (-n) 1024 pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 10 stack size ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies

7. Android

32MB USB Memory Stack Not Supported on Android?

Running latest Android for Galaxy Tab 8.9 and bought a 32GB USB flash memory stick for file transfers, etc. Would not work. Searched the net for clues and could not find any. Then, back at the IT store, found out that Galaxy Tab currently only supports up to 16GB for the USD flash memory stick.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies
maxfiles_lim(5) 						File Formats Manual						   maxfiles_lim(5)

NAME
maxfiles_lim - hard maximum number of file descriptors per process VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values The minimum value allowed is 32. The maximum value allowed is 1048576, or 1M. The value is further constrained in that it must be equal or greater than the soft limit, Specify a positive integer value. Recommended values At runtime, a warning will be issued if the tunable is set to a value greater than 409600, or 400K. This is beyond the tested limit. At runtime, a warning will be issued if the value is not a multiple of the file descriptor chunk (multiple of 8) size. This is not a seri- ous warning, just an information message for the administrator. DESCRIPTION
specifies the system hard limit for the number of file descriptors that a process is allowed to have for open files at any given time. It is possible for a nonsuperuser process to increase its soft limit up to this hard limit. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone expecting to run applications using large numbers of file descriptors. Restrictions on Changing The tunable is dynamic (tuning will take effect immediately on the running system). Dynamic changes affect all existing processes in the system except: o Processes that have more file descriptors allocated than allowed by the new limit, o Processes that have specifically set their limits through a call to or When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? The tunable should be increased when large numbers of file descriptors are expected to be open by several processes. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? There is no immediate effect of raising the value of However, doing so allows any process to allocate more file descriptors, potentially consuming more system memory. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The value should be lowered to limit the number of open file descriptors per process on a system and reduce system memory consumption. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Lowering the value of bounds memory consumption due to file descriptors for processes that are not already over the new limit. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? The value assigned to must be less than or equal to the value of Kernel checks during tunable setting ensure these restrictions. WARNINGS
For values greater than 65535, compatibility for the obsolescent will be affected. For correct operation, all applications must use instead of If the system still has applications using setting to 65535 or less will maintain compatibility, unless the process being queried has used to change its maximum limit of open files to a value greater than 65535. All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), setrlimit(2), gettune(2), settune(2), pstat(2), ulimit(2), maxfiles(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters maxfiles_lim(5)