Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editing File using awk/sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Editing File using awk/sed Post 302117713 by Mohammed on Wednesday 16th of May 2007 05:50:22 AM
Old 05-16-2007
Editing File using awk/sed

Hello Awk Gurus,

Can anyone of you help me with the below problem. I have got a file having data in below format

pmFaultyTransportBlocks
-----------------------

pmFrmNoOfDiscRachFrames
-----------------------
NULL

pmNoRecRandomAccSuccess
-----------------------

I want to format this file into below format so that I can export it to excel using .csv

pmFaultyTransportBlocks,9842993
pmFrmNoOfDiscRachFrames,NULL
pmNoRecRandomAccSuccess,30646380

Thanks in Advance,
Mohammed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File editing using awk

Hi All, I have a file, say test.dat which is "|" separated. It has 50K records in it. One of the field in the file has the data in the format 'mm/dd/yyyy'. I need to edit the file by changing the format to 'yyyy/mm/dd' in the same field where as the rest of the data remain untouched. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku11
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing the File using Awk

I have input file that is having below text 098769 178902 234678 I want to modify the input file like below. '098769', '178902', '234678' Can you please help to get this. I tried but i am not getting this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_beginner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls help me with file editing using awk

Hi all, Pls help me with file editing using awk. I have a text file with the below format. "STANDARD VOLUME ","2009","BUX","V","JCBH49","NF", 001413 "VENDOR MATERIAL-STD ","2009","BUX","V","JCBH49","NF", 009948 "INBOUND TRANS-STD ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas.maddy
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

String editing using sed? awk?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Statement for project: When an account is created on the CS Unix network, a public html directory is created in the account's home directory. A default web page is put into that directory. Some users replace or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: peage1475
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using sed command in editing a file

Hi all, I have a conf file, i want to update some entries in that conf file. Below is the code for that using a temporary file. sed '/workgroup=/ c\workgroup=Workgroup' /usr/local/netx.conf > /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp mv -f /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp /usr/local/netx.conf Sample contents of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj14r
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk editing help

Hi all I use aix (sadly). I've got a file consisting of fields separated by commas, I need a sed or awk command that will delete all spaces between two commas as long as there are only spaces between the commas. eg ,abc, ,sd , ,dr at would become ,abc,,sd ,,dr at I have... (53 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychmose
53 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)