Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing two variables into a shell script? Post 302117549 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 15th of May 2007 09:42:22 AM
Old 05-15-2007
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while read first second junk
do
    myscript "${first}" "${second}"
done < infile.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to awk program..

Hello, Can we pass shell variables like $PATH etc. to a awk program part for example, awk ' { fieldValue=$PATH .... }' file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help passing variables in shell script to perl one-liner

I'm writing a script to automate some post-install tasks on RHEL4 servers. I need the following code to insert an 'A' in the middle of a string, then replace the string in a file. I know I can use sed to do this, but I'd like to use perl's in place edit so I don't have to write to a temp file,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xek
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Shell Variables in ISQL

Hi.. I am passing a variable in my shell function. I need to access it for an isql comand in the shell script. However the isql o/p gives no results if i pass a variable in the command. The isql command works perfectly fine if i hardcore the table name. My script is : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dikki
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the nawk variables to the shell

nawk '($1 ~ "1000") && ($1 ~ "5665" ) { sub ($6,"89");flag =1;print }' old.txt >> new.txt I want to set a flag in awk , if the both conditions are met. I want to pass this flag to shell Can anyone please help me on this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prav076
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to a rsh command

I noticed my script is not passing the value of variable alert to the rsh command. I need some assistance, please. This is a solaris environement. Thanks! :confused: #!/bin/sh echo -n "Alert number:" read alert rsh rhost_name 'egrep $alert /opt/var/log/*.logs' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lopus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing gnuplot variables to shell script

Hi, I need to pass a gnuplot value to a shell script. I have a main shell script (Main.sh) that has a bunch of gnuplot commands. Main.sh calls another gnuplot script (Child.gnu). A part of the code in Child.gnu is as follows: sp '</data/src/scripts/results/plot_data.sh $col' u (A):2:3 w pm3d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annazpereira
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Passing shell variables to a webpage

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This is my assignment as a whole - Use SVG to present certain dynamic (the raw data should change at least once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChedWick
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Global Shell variables to awk

Hi All, Iam trying to pass global shell variables and is not working Main script is like below CYEAR=`date +"%y"` CFYEAR=`date +"%Y"` CMONTH=`date +"%m"` if then PMONTH=12 PYEAR=`expr $CYEAR - 1` PFYEAR=`expr $CFYEAR - 1` else PMONTH=`expr... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
6 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)