Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy Tape Drive DDS-01.
Operating Systems Solaris Copy Tape Drive DDS-01. Post 302117472 by carelias on Monday 14th of May 2007 03:10:46 PM
Old 05-14-2007
PHP Copy Tape Drive DDS-01.

Hello, I am trying to copy a boot tape DDS-01 with miniroot, but i donīt get this copy. i have already used the command dd, but donīt work. There are other way to get it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from dos dir a: to similar to a dds tape?

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of dos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS Tape Drives

How do I find if a server contains a DDS3 or a DDS2 drive remotely ? I checked in SMIT and I noticed the description field according to tape drives, but is there another more thorough way? Thanks, Luke (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skywlkr235
0 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Copy a file from tape drive

Hi, How to copy a file (online.exp031204.tar.Z) from the tape drive /dev/rStp0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmanm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS-2 Sun tape drive

Hey guys, I'm trying to mount a SUN DDS-2 tape drive on a SUN Ultra 80 machine running Solaris 9. I had the SCSI drive connected at time of install, I'm very new to Solaris so I don't know if Solaris would detect the drive like that and install some form of device driver. But, what im posting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix 10.20 DDS Tape Driver Corruption

Dear Experts and Advanced User, I encounter a rare problem as mentioned above. I am not able to read the tape cartridge using the following command: #dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb ibs=16k | tar tvf - It will prompt me with the message saying DD I/O error, broken pipe; everytime the above command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stufftiger
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies

8. AIX

Cleaning tape frequence for DDS

Hi All, Are there recommendations about the use of cleaning tapes in DDS devices? Should I clean the tape only when the drive indicates cleaning? Should I clean it once a month, week, even every day? Is it harmful to clean the tape every day? Thanks for your insights. --Peter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
4 Replies

9. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies
volcopy_hfs(1M) 														   volcopy_hfs(1M)

NAME
volcopy_hfs: volcopy, labelit - copy an HFS file system with label checking SYNOPSIS
[options] fsname special1 volname1 special2 volname2 [options] special [fsname volume DESCRIPTION
The command makes a literal copy of an HFS file system using a block size matched to the device. Options recognizes the following options: Specifies the HFS file system type. Invoke a verification sequence requiring a positive operator response instead of the standard delay before the copy is made. (default) Invoke the DEL-if-wrong verification sequence. Assume a response to all questions Echo the completed command line, but perform no other actions. The command line is generated by incorporating the user-specified options and arguments with other information derived from This option allows the user to verify the command line. Other options are used with 9-track magnetic tapes: Bits per inch. Size of reel in feet. Beginning reel number for a restarted copy. Use double buffered I/O. The command requests length and density information if they are not given on the command line and they are not recorded on an input tape label. If the file system is too large to fit on one reel, the command prompts for additional reels. Labels of all reels are checked. Tapes can be mounted alternately on two or more drives. If the command is interrupted, it asks if the user wants to quit or wants to escape to the command interpreter. In the latter case, other operations (such as executing the command) can be performed before returning to the command by exiting the command interpreter. fsname The file system name on the device (e.g., being copied. special The physical disk section or tape (e.g., or volname The physical volume name; it should match the external sticker. Such label names are limited to six or fewer characters. The argument volname can be to use the existing volume name. special1 The device from which the copy of the file system is being extracted. volname1 The volume from which the copy of the file system is being extracted. special2 The target device. volname2 The target volume. The command can be used to provide initial labels for unmounted disk or tape file systems. With the optional arguments omitted, the com- mand prints current label values. The option provides for initial labeling of new tapes only (this destroys previous contents). The and options can be specified for the command. The behavior of the and options is similar to their behavior in the command. SEE ALSO
fstyp(1M), volcopy(1M), fs_wrapper(5), disk(7), mt(7). volcopy_hfs(1M)