Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting determine if the script has been invoked manually or not? Post 302117423 by vgersh99 on Monday 14th of May 2007 09:15:05 AM
Old 05-14-2007
I use this paradigm:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# determine if there's a controlling tty for this run of the script.
# if there's none, it means we're running from 'cron' 
if [ -t 0 ] ; then
   inputTERM="I have a controlling terminal => I ain't from cron"
fi;

Last edited by vgersh99; 05-14-2007 at 10:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can run script Manually, but not through Cron?

Hi all, I have a main script (called OracleCleanup) that runs some sql queries. that runs off a wrapper script which contains the sources for the login information and and JOB_HOME (the script is below). When I schedule this job in the cron the log says that it cannot open my list file, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadHatter
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check in unix shell script so that no one is able to run the script manually

I want to create an automated script which is called by another maually executed script. The condition is that the no one should be able to manually execute the automated script. The automated script can be on the same machine or it can be on a remote machine. Can any one suggest a check in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adi_bang76
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the values to the secondary script when it invoked by primary script

Hi, When I invoke a script s1.sh it will call an another script s2.sh by itself. This script s2.sh will call some java files, so while running the script it asks for a file name to be processed. Which we can see in the screen. The file name to be processed is present in script s1.sh Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing the values to the secondary script when it invoked by primary script

Hi, When I invoke a script s1.sh it will call an another script s2.sh by itself. This script s2.sh will call some java files, so while running the script it asks for a file name to be processed. Which we can see in the screen. The file name to be processed is present in script s1.sh Now I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why the script name not displayed and not sh invoked?

Say there is a shell script named test.sh. I intentionally omit the #! line in test.sh for testing perpose. I did the following : $ echo $0 -ksh ---> current shell $ echo $$ 12919 ---> PID of the current shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hongwei
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON: Script not getting invoked

Hi, I have the following script - fixpart="/files/myScript # Transfer Script" echo "Specify the transfer frequency in minutes - " echo "every 1, 2, 3, or 5 minutes (default every 1 minute) " echo $nn "Frequency ? :" $cc read ans case $ans in 2) echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ensure a script can only be invoked from another?

Hi All, I have two scripts - ScriptA and ScriptB ScriptA has logic to invoke ScriptB : - with some parameter - or without any parameter ScriptB can also be invoked by the user from the command line. Is there anyway to ensure that when I execute ScriptB from the command line, it does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitanya.gvc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script invoked from a keyboard shortcut

-EDIT- I have solved my problem below by using a different program. Instead of xsel I am using xclip which basically does the same thing and works fine from a script invoked by a global hotkey. -END EDIT- Hi, I've written a simple script to copy my email address into both the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle function invoked from shell script doubt

hi gurus, I have tried myself to invoke an oracle function. there are three different function available need to be called for differnt. can you tell me whether the below code is correct to call oracle function from shell script. Any help would be highly appreciated. cat location.sh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)