Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to copy data into a single file plus title Post 302117419 by c0384 on Monday 14th of May 2007 08:57:06 AM
Old 05-14-2007
How to copy data into a single file plus title

Hi

Can anyone help me with the task below?

Example:

The contents in fileA.txt are:
HELLO
HOW DO U DO?

The contents in fileA.txt are:
HI
I AM FINE.

how to combine the data in 2 files into one with the format below?
Case A-fileA.txt
HELLO
HOW DO U DO?

Case B-fileB.txt
HI
I AM FINE.

Thanks a lot in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy single file to multiple directories

Please help - I need to copy a single file to multiple directories. Dir structure: Parent_Directoy Filename1 Child_Directory1 Child_Directory2 Child_Directory3 Child_Directory4 .... So I need to copy Filename1 to all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get the data in a file into single string

Hello everyone ! I need to get the data in a file into a string. file1 1 2 3 4 5 I need to write a script where the file1 info is stored in a string (say variable s). So the output should be 1,2,3,4,5 or (1,2,3,4,5) If i say echo $s or print $s output should be 1,2,3,4,5 or ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy data to to excel file

Hi, Can any one tell me how to copy data using shell script to a excel file from text file to other columns of excel file,leaving first column unaffected i.e it should not overwrite data in first column. Say my text file data is: 15-dec-2008 15-dec-2009 16-dec-2008 16-dec-2009 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tucs_123
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to copy data from one position to another in file

Hi. I need to write a script that will allow me to copy data from one position in a line to another position while changing the first 2 bytes of the data to a constant. Here is an example of a line of data before and what it needs to look like after. there are about 200 lines in the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wlb_shore_user
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy data from different file with some same column

I have file1 have below data ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012120 -099.8 -099.4 00.4 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012124 -104.6 -103.6 01.0 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012128 -104.4 -103.1 01.4 file2 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012120 15.4 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012124 18.5 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012128 20.1 ABCDE2012 ABCDE2012122 0.5 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the data from two servers into a single file

Hi All, Need your inputs for the below. I have 2 different servers 611 & 610, where i would be running two scripts. And would would be running one script from 611 at every 4 hours to merge the data from the 2 servers into 2 files and send a mail. so below is the code snippet for 611: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute sequential files and store data in single file

1)In a particualr path i have a set of inputfiles like path:/defaultmis/MonthlyLoads/INFA_EXPORT_022013/map* example: 1)map_de 2)map_cod 3)map_feg ........and so on in above path there wil be nearly 15 to 20 files starting with map and in other path i have another file input file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to extract data from single first cell and copy it notepad?

how to extract data from single first cell and copy it notepad sample source IN EXCEL DD-MM-YYYY LOANNUM LOANPARTID OUTPUT IN NOTEPAD DD-MM-YYYY I WANT ALONE DATE SHOULD BE EXTRACTED FROM EXCEL AND COPY IT IN NOTEPAD CAN ANYONE HELP REGARDING THIS USING SCRIPTS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gchandu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge the multiple data files as a single file?

Hi Experts, I have created multiple scripts and send the output to new file, getting this output to my mailbox on daily basis. I would like to send the all outputs to a single file, need to merge all file outputs on a single file. For example, Created script for df -h > df.doc grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
7 Replies

10. Solaris

More > 1 TB single file cant copy

good evening, hi, I have problem for copy file, size more > 1 TB, just only for single file. error said, capacity not enough, even my storage I set to 4 TB, file always reject during finish copy. but, if I copy with multiple file/separate file, total calculation file is 2 TB, always success.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: katumping
10 Replies
TEXTUTIL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       TEXTUTIL(1)

NAME
textutil -- text utility SYNOPSIS
textutil [command_option] [other_options] file ... DESCRIPTION
textutil can be used to manipulate text files of various formats, using the mechanisms provided by the Cocoa text system. The first argument indicates the operation to perform, one of: -help Show the usage information for the command and exit. This is the default command option if none is specified. -info Display information about the specified files. -convert fmt Convert the specified files to the indicated format and write each one back to the file system. -cat fmt Read the specified files, concatenate them, and write the result out as a single file in the indicated format. fmt is one of: txt, html, rtf, rtfd, doc, docx, wordml, odt, or webarchive There are some additional options for general use: -extension ext Specify an extension to be used for output files (by default, the extension will be determined from the format). -output path Specify the file name to be used for the first output file. -stdin Specify that input should be read from stdin rather than from files. -stdout Specify that the first output file should go to stdout. -encoding IANA_name | NSStringEncoding Specify the encoding to be used for plain text or HTML output files (by default, the output encoding will be UTF-8). NSStringEncoding refers to one of the numeric values recognized by NSString. IANA_name refers to an IANA character set name as understood by CFString. The operation will fail if the file cannot be converted to the specified encoding. -inputencoding IANA_name | NSStringEncoding Force all plain text input files to be interpreted using the specified encoding (by default, a file's encoding will be deter- mined from its BOM). The operation will fail if the file cannot be interpreted using the specified encoding. -format fmt Force all input files to be interpreted using the indicated format (by default, a file's format will be determined from its contents). -font font Specify the name of the font to be used for converting plain to rich text. -fontsize size Specify the size in points of the font to be used for converting plain to rich text. -- Specify that all further arguments are file names. There are some additional options for HTML and WebArchive files: -noload Do not load subsidiary resources. -nostore Do not write out subsidiary resources. -baseurl url Specify a base URL to be used for relative URLs. -timeout t Specify the time in seconds to wait for resources to load. -textsizemultiplier x Specify a numeric factor by which to multiply font sizes. -excludedelements (tag1, tag2, ...) Specify which HTML elements should not be used in generated HTML (the list should be a single argument, and so will usually need to be quoted in a shell context). -prefixspaces n Specify the number of spaces by which to indent nested elements in generated HTML (default is 2). There are some additional options for treating metadata: -strip Do not copy metadata from input files to output files. -title val Specify the title metadata attribute for output files. -author val Specify the author metadata attribute for output files. -subject val Specify the subject metadata attribute for output files. -keywords (val1, val2, ...) Specify the keywords metadata attribute for output files (the list should be a single argument, and so will usually need to be quoted in a shell context). -comment val Specify the comment metadata attribute for output files. -editor val Specify the editor metadata attribute for output files. -company val Specify the company metadata attribute for output files. -creationtime yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ Specify the creation time metadata attribute for output files. -modificationtime yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ Specify the modification time metadata attribute for output files. EXAMPLES
textutil -info foo.rtf displays information about foo.rtf. textutil -convert html foo.rtf converts foo.rtf into foo.html. textutil -convert rtf -font Times -fontsize 10 foo.txt converts foo.txt into foo.rtf, using Times 10 for the font. textutil -cat html -title "Several Files" -output index.html *.rtf loads all RTF files in the current directory, concatenates their contents, and writes the result out as index.html with the HTML title set to "Several Files". DIAGNOSTICS
The textutil command exits 0 on success, and 1 on failure. CAUTIONS
Some options may require a connection to the window server. HISTORY
The textutil command first appeared in Mac OS X 10.4. macOS September 9, 2004 macOS