Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove last line of the file Post 302117399 by aigles on Monday 14th of May 2007 06:59:32 AM
Old 05-14-2007
Code:
sed '$d' infile > outfile

Jean-Pierre.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove every third line from a file

I need to remove every second and every third line from a file. My idea was to do it in two operations. First every third line, then every second line. The problem is that i can't find out how to do it. I tried to look for some sed oneliners, but couldn't find any. Suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bistru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove a line within a file

Hi all, i have a text file similar to belowA1 A2 A3 B1 ... .... *** # first occurance B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance My desired output is B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance I want to remove the first line that is after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from a file

Hi ,guys. I have one question: I want to write a script which removes a line with certain string from a file, for example The name of the file is: "passwd", the contents of it is below: ************************* ... brownj2:x:5000: hynesp:x:5001: leeb:x:5002 dioxna:x:5003 ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file

Hi!!! When I use vi editor my file looks like this: aaa2: 123.45^M aaa1: 11.34^M aaa3: aaa3: 15.56^M How to remove only line 3 ??? Thanks!!! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first line of file

Is there an easy way to remove the first line of a file so that the file: aaron benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando would become benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

Hi, unix gurus, I need to remove last line of the file. anybody can help me thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove first line of file

How can I use bash to remove the first line of a file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)