Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change field seperator Post 302117215 by onthetopo on Friday 11th of May 2007 09:46:06 AM
Old 05-11-2007
How to change field seperator

Hi Please help me out with this problem:

I want to have a script that would change the nth field seperator in a line into something else.

a,d,4,2,97,8,9
into
a,d,4,2,97/8/9

Thanks

Last edited by onthetopo; 05-11-2007 at 10:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Field Seperator Help

I wrote a script on HPUX 11.11 to turn a Decimal subnet mask (255.255.254.0) to hex 0xfffffe00 (subset of a bigger script). It works great on the HPUX systems but on the freebsd box the awk is not seperating the fields properly. I tried to google for a solution and seaching these forums i am just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find columns with whitespace as field seperator?

Hai I am using bash-2.03$ bash --version GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris) I am not able to use gawk command its showing command not found , why ? Eg: awk 'NR==1' fix.txt | gawk 'BEGIN { FIELDWIDTHS = "3 2" } { printf($1"|"$2); }'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp to print after a field seperator

Hi, How do i Print anything after a ':' Ex : file1: 1235131(rs32553) I want to print out "1235131(rs32553)" how do i do it. I know we can do this using awk but looking for the right syntax. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Ram (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing value with no obvious field seperator

Hi all, Can anybody think of a way to do this? I have a file with content like the following: F_TOP_PARAM_VALUEF_TOP_SOURCEF_TOP_DEL_NOTIFICATIONF_DEST_ADDRF_TOP_DEL_TYPE What I want to do is print out the value in the square brackets after F_TOP_SOURCE. So in this case I'd like to print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a field seperator in a file.

"355"|""|"NJ"|"A0A 1W0"|"V"|""|""|""|"N" I've the above sample data seperated with pipe delimeter and in the file I want to replace a space with "|" to the 4th field so the result would be like below. So it would change from 9 fields to 10 fields. "355"|""|"NJ"|"A0A"|"1W0"|"V"|""|""|""|"N" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

field seperator question (awk script)

Is there a way I could use different a different field seperator for different parts of the body? kinda like {FS = ":"} FILENAME == "products"{ price = $3 if(numprods < $1-100) numprods = $1-100 } {FS = "/"}{} FILENAME == "associates"{ associateid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angermanaged
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change a field value in a loop

Hi guys, i have an executable file that contains several records and fields. One of the records has a variable filed that must be changed each time i want to execute the file. Would it be possible that i can use a loop to change the value of that field? Suppose that the field address is: Record... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Field seperator with awk

Hi, input data format: echo ' <APPLICATION="APPLSG" SUB_APPLICATION="DLY" JOBNAME="DPL_BN_RE_CCMS_SA" CMDLINE="run_job.ksh %%PARAM1 %%PARAM2" TASKTYPE="Command" />' expected format: "APPLSG", "DLY", "DPL_BN_RE_CCMS_SA", "run_job.ksh %%PARAM1 %%PARAM2" my command: echo ' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value in field according to another

I am trying to use awk to check if each $2 in file1 falls between $2 and $3 of the matching $4 line of file2. If it does then in $5 of file2, exon if it does not intron. I think the awk below will do that, but I am struggling trying to is add a calculation that if the difference is less than 10,... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
27 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)