Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to rewrite a line in a file Post 302117212 by c0384 on Friday 11th of May 2007 09:27:27 AM
Old 05-11-2007
How to rewrite a line in a file

Hi

Can anyone tell me how can rewrite a line in a file by using line number? I tried to use sed by failed to do so.
For example

HELLO
179.390 111.560
HOW TO DO
WHAT TO DO

to become

HELLO
200 3000
HOW TO DO
WHAT TO DO

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache Rewrite help!

I am trying to write RewriteRule on Apache_1.3.26 to get users web page from another server. for example if users tries to get web page on www.somedomain.com/~usersname it will get the web page from www.testdomain.com/~username without redirect and users will not be aware of any redirect... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan2
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I rewrite to use a while instead of find?

for FILE in `find /home/Upload/*` Need to use a while instead to prevent errors when the file is emptied (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep help, how do i rewrite this

Thanks , franklin you method worked, i knew i had to use a while loop and getline in there just didnt know the proper order :) Hi everyone, im trying to make the following command line shorter by introducing a script that join up all the grep commands ./new1a < numbers.txt | grep -i -v '^a '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: weezybaby
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rewrite date

I'm looking to have function that takes the present month and rewrites it into this form: _06_ (june), _09_ (september), and so on.. I would like this to be a my $this_month=code that rewrites date function because I would like to be a able to call it multiple times in the script by writing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marringi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rewrite a existing value in a column inside a file?

I am having 4 field in a file name age date status i want to update or rewrite a value of status with another value how it can be done i used awk & sed but it shows result but not updating in original file help me out... Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavendar
4 Replies

6. Web Development

Need help with rewrite rule

Hi, I hosted my site on Apache web server. I wanted to redirect all the users request to a HTML page(maintenance page). I used the below rewrite rule to do ths same. RewriteEngine on RewriteRule .* /maintenance.html The maintenance.html page contains an image. When ever I try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSrikanthB
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient rewrite of code?

egrep -v "#" ${SERVERS} | while read shosts do grep -Pi "|" ${LOGFILE} | egrep "${snhosts}" | egrep "NOTIFICATION:" | awk -F";" '{print $3}' | sort -n | uniq | while read CEXIST do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail Rewrite Ruleset

Hi all, I like to write a rule which do the following: INPUT ADDRESS REWRITTEN TO ----------------------------- ----------------------------- foo.bar@sub.domain.com bar@domain.com foo@othersub.domain.com ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashily
1 Replies

9. Linux

Rewrite proxypass

Hi, I have a Apache 2.0 web server. When a users comes in to sitea.com a check is applied if the path ends with *t*, the user hits a rewrite rule that adds an environment variable called x is hit with a proxypass. This has worked successfully in the past, but recently I added another rewrite... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
0 Replies
edinplace(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						      edinplace(1)

NAME
edinplace - edit a file in place SYNOPSIS
edinplace [--error=code] [[--file=file] command [arg ...]] DESCRIPTION
edinplace runs command with its input from file (or standard input by default), and then replaces the contents of file with the output of command. To the extent possible, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. If edinplace is run on standard input (no --file option), it must inherit a file descriptor 0 that is open for both reading and writing. When processing standard input, if edinplace does not encounter a fatal error, it rewinds its standard input to offset 0 before exiting. Thus, a script can first run edinplace command, then run another filter command such as grep, and the resulting output will be the output of grep on command's output. If no command is specified, edinplace just rewinds its standard input to file offset 0. In this case, it is an error to supply the --file option. Of course, rewinding only works when standard input is a real file (as opposed to a pipe or device). There are two options: --error=code (-x code) Ordinarily, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. However, if edinplace encounters some fatal error (such as being unable to execute command), it will exit with status code. The default value is 1. The range of valid exit codes is 1-255, inclusive. --file=file (-f file) Specifies that file should be edited. Otherwise, edinplace will edit its standard input (which must be opened for both reading and writing). --skipfrom Skip the first line of the file if it starts "From ". If edinplace is run without a command, positions the file offset at the start of the second line of the file. If edinplace is run with a command, then the first line of the file is neither fed to the command, nor overwritten. This option is useful for running edinplace over mail files, which sometimes start with a "From " line specifying the envelope sender of the message. Since "From " is not part of the message header, just a Unix convention, some programs are confused by the presence of that line. Note that if you specify a command, then edinplace resets the file offset to 0 upon exiting, even if the --skipfrom option was present. EXAMPLES
The following command prepends the string "ORIGINAL: " to the beginning of each line in text file message: edinplace -f message sed -e 's/^/ORIGINAL: /' The following command runs the spamassassin mail filter program on a mail message stored in file message, replacing the contents of message with spamassassin's annotated output, and exiting with code 100 if spamassassin thinks the message is spam. If edinplace encounters any fatal errors, it will exit with code 111. edinplace -x 111 -f message spamassassin -e 100 (spamassassin reads a mail message on standard input and outputs an annotated copy of the message including information about whether or not the message is likely to be spam and why. The -e option to spamassassin specifies what exit status spamassassin should use if the message appears to be spam; edinplace will use the same exit code as the program it has run.) To run spamassassin on incoming mail before accepting the mail from the remote client, place the following line in an appropriate Mail Avenger rcpt file as the last command executed: bodytest edinplace -x 111 spamassassin -e 100 SEE ALSO
avenger(1) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
edinplace does not make a copy of the file being edited, but rather overwrites the file as it is being processed. At any point where command has produced more output than it has consumed input from the file, edinplace buffers the difference in memory. Thus, a command that outputs large amounts of data before reading the input file can run edinplace out of memory. (A program that outputs data as it reads even a very large file should be fine, however.) If command crashes or malfunctions for any reason, you will likely lose the input file, since edinplace will view this as a program that simply outputs the empty file. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 edinplace(1)