Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming UDP socket - can both client and server recv and send Post 302116835 by cbkihong on Wednesday 9th of May 2007 02:36:56 AM
Old 05-09-2007
Yes, unless the socket has been closed from duplex operation, such as with shutdown().

For C socket programming resources, this is a popular one:
http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/ht...age/index.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to send mail from server to client's email-id

i want to send email from server to the client's email-id. server is solaris. please help me out.i want to send mail to the email-id not to the var/spool/mail. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parmeet
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

socket programming : client server IPC

I'm new to socket programming. Have a basic doubt. I have a structure(global) at the server side. I have two different client connecting to the server. Will the changes made by one client on the structure be visible to the other client when it accesses the same client? I'm creating a STREAM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abc.working
3 Replies

3. Programming

recv syscall for socket programming

I have a question regarding the recv syscall. Suppose I have a client/server and the following exchange of message took place: Client --> Server using multiple send syscalls one after another immediately: send "Packet1" send "Packet2" send "Packet3" Server receives in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heljy
2 Replies

4. Programming

Client/Server Socket Application - Preventing Client from quitting on server crash

Problem - Linux Client/Server Socket Application: Preventing Client from quitting on server crash Hi, I am writing a Linux socket Server and Client using TCP protocol on Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I am having problem trying to implement a scenario where the client should keep running even when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun.nagpaal
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

UDP server socket inaddr_any - How to get the real IP

Hello ! I seem to have the same problem as in https://www.unix.com/ip-networking/91203-inaddr_any-opposite.html#post302262417 But I can't find a solution. I have a UDP server socket bound to 0.0.0.0. The server hosts the addresses IP1, IP2 and IP3. I get an incoming request to IP1. I use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steinwej
1 Replies

6. Programming

how can I send and receive data in client server socket programing

char name; printf ("Welcome to the server \n"); printf ("Enter user name: \n"); scanf ("%c", &name); how can client send name to server:what should be the code? int send ( int sid , const char ∗buffer Ptr , int len , int f l a g ) how can client receive ack from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saiful_911
1 Replies

7. Programming

socket programing in client server

hei, i want to enter name and read it by client server socket program after checking name validity put the password and check.if ok than server clirnt say correct other wise incorrect. below my code: char name; printf ("Welcome to the server \n"); printf ("Enter user name: \n"); scanf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saiful_911
1 Replies

8. Programming

UDP linux client and Windows server

Hi, I have a situation where i need to communicate a linux client with a windows server, I am using a UDP socket communication channel. I am able to send packets from my linux clients to the windows server but unable to receive any data packet from the server. Do i need to make any setting in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John20
0 Replies

9. Programming

C Socket Client/Server Fork Loop

Hello people. I'm trying to do something like a search engine. Server runs in the background by using ./server & which has data from a textfile stored in an array. Client then runs by using ./client It will then prompt "Search for:" For example, if I searched for Products called Instant... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
0 Replies

10. Programming

Socket dual client/server Linux

I'm trying to make a "dual/server client" (ipv4,ipv6) with sockets in linux but i don't know how to join both codes. I have a dual client ipv4 and ipv6, but i have problems with the server if you notice the only difference between them it's the AF_INET (pf_inet ipv4, and if_inet6 ipv6) and the port... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: godna
3 Replies
SHUTDOWN(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual						      SHUTDOWN(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
shutdown - shut down socket send and receive operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> int shutdown(int socket, int how); DESCRIPTION
The shutdown() function shall cause all or part of a full-duplex connection on the socket associated with the file descriptor socket to be shut down. The shutdown() function takes the following arguments: socket Specifies the file descriptor of the socket. how Specifies the type of shutdown. The values are as follows: SHUT_RD Disables further receive operations. SHUT_WR Disables further send operations. SHUT_RDWR Disables further send and receive operations. The shutdown() function disables subsequent send and/or receive operations on a socket, depending on the value of the how argument. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, shutdown() shall return 0; otherwise, -1 shall be returned and errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shutdown() function shall fail if: EBADF The socket argument is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The how argument is invalid. ENOTCONN The socket is not connected. ENOTSOCK The socket argument does not refer to a socket. The shutdown() function may fail if: ENOBUFS Insufficient resources were available in the system to perform the operation. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
getsockopt(), read(), recv(), recvfrom(), recvmsg(), select(), send(), sendto(), setsockopt(), socket(), write(), the Base Definitions vol- ume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <sys/socket.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 SHUTDOWN(3P)