Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep running total/ final total across multiple files Post 302116699 by awk on Monday 7th of May 2007 05:56:18 PM
Old 05-07-2007
something like this maybe

awk '{ Array[$1]++ }
END{ for (I in Array)
{ print I, Array[I]}
}' *.hit

This will scan multiple files that would be shown with an ls *.hit listing, then, using the first field as its key, maintain a total of the hits in the Array.

then, at the End, for each value in the array, print the Array Key followed by the count.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total

HPUX 11i v2 #!/bin/sh Hi all. I have a space delimited flat file of about 9000 lines. I would like to get a running total of field 3 to the variable $TOTAL. Field 3 can be formatted as listed.... $ 0.00 $2804.15 <$ 4.14> (negative) Any ideas are most appreciated!!!! TIA!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total Running Wild

Hi. A shell scripting newbie here. I am trying to write a script that will create a running total of Sales, and increment a counter for each Sales entry, but when I executed the program it never stopped. counter=0 Sales=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales while do let counter=counter+1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and find total count from multiple files

Please advice how can we search for a string say (abc) in multiple files and to get total occurrence of that searched string. (Need number of records that exits in period of time). File look like this (read as filename.yyyymmdd) a.20100101 b.20100108 c.20100115 d.20100122 e.20100129... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print available running instance out of total

Hello. I have a status command in AIX box, which provides output as below: $ status You are running the application on pegasus2 ----Program Name------|--Avail / Total---------| MQ | 1/2 | ORACLE | 10/10 | TMADMIN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write the total number of rows in multiple files into another file

Hello Friends, I know you all are busy and inteligent too... I am stuck with one small issue if you can help me then it will be really great. My problem is I am having some files i.e. Input.txt1 Input.txt2 Input.txt3 Now my task is I need to check the total number of rows in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya kumar
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Find the total size of multiple files

If I have a number of files in a directory, for example, test.1 test.2 test.3 abc.1 abc.2 abc.3 and I need to find the total file size of all of the test.* files, I can use du -bc test.* in Linux. However, in Solaris, du does not have the -c option. What can I do in Solaris to get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance of calculating total number of matching records in multiple files

Hello Friends, I've been trying to calculate total number of a certain match in multiple data records files (DRs). Let say I have a daily created folders for each day since the beginning of july like the following drwxrwxrwx 2 mmsuper med 65536 Jul 1 23:59 20150701 drwxrwxrwx 2 mmsuper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total distinct count from multiple csv files through UNIX script

Hi All , I have multiple pipe delimited csv files are present in a directory.I need to find out distinct count on a column on those files and need the total distinct count on all files. We can't merge all the files here as file size are huge in millions.I have tried in below way for each... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
9 Replies
Tie::Array::Sorted(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Tie::Array::Sorted(3pm)

NAME
Tie::Array::Sorted - An array which is kept sorted SYNOPSIS
use Tie::Array::Sorted; tie @a, "Tie::Array::Sorted", sub { $_[0] <=> $_[1] }; push @a, 10, 4, 7, 3, 4; print "@a"; # "3 4 4 7 10" DESCRIPTION
This presents an ordinary array, but is kept sorted. All pushes and unshifts cause the elements in question to be inserted in the appropri- ate location to maintain order. Direct stores ("$a[10] = "wibble"") effectively splice out the original value and insert the new element. It's not clear why you'd want to use direct stores like that, but this module does the right thing if you do. If you don't like the ordinary lexical comparator, you can provide your own; it should compare the two elements it is given. For instance, a numeric comparator would look like this: tie @a, "Tie::Array::Sorted", sub { $_[0] <=> $_[1] } Whereas to compare a list of files by their sizes, you'd so something like: tie @a, "Tie::Array::Sorted", sub { -s $_[0] <=> -s $_[1] } LAZY SORTING
If you do more stores than fetches, you may find Tie::Array::Sorted::Lazy more efficient. AUTHOR
Original author: Simon Cozens Current maintainer: Tony Bowden BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Tie-Array-Sorted@rt.cpan.org This module was originall written as part of the Plucene project. However, as Plucene no longer uses this, it is effectively unmaintained. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 Simon Cozens and Tony Bowden. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. perl v5.8.8 2004-10-10 Tie::Array::Sorted(3pm)