Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Symbolic Link Confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Symbolic Link Confusion Post 302116691 by Sepia on Monday 7th of May 2007 04:39:26 PM
Old 05-07-2007
Thanks for that.

Is there anyother way of making 'shortcuts'?

I think I have used one where it didnt created a file/dir and worked from any location on the tree.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the symbolic link

Hi Experts!! Can anyone help me out to know how can we tar the symbolic links. I would need to find the symbolic links present in the directory and then tar them out. I can find the links by find . -type l, but i need to know how to tar the symboilc link. Any help would be much appreciated.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Solaris

issue with Symbolic link

Hi All, I have to set a soft link to a directory, e.g. it’s done, however I want it make it permanent and in case if any program is pointing to /cms/cmsuat/server/cmu/contribution it should go to /cms/cmsUAT/server/cmu/Contribution. Need your help! Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to remove symbolic link?

this is my current code, # ln -s /lib64/ # ls -lrth total 80K -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 12K Jul 6 2012 post-install -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 552 Jul 6 2012 post-install.log -rw-------. 1 root root 1.5K Aug 21 2012 anaconda-ks.cfg drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4.0K Aug 21 2012 Videos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies
GIT-LS-TREE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-LS-TREE(1)

NAME
git-ls-tree - List the contents of a tree object SYNOPSIS
git ls-tree [-d] [-r] [-t] [-l] [-z] [--name-only] [--name-status] [--full-name] [--full-tree] [--abbrev[=<n>]] <tree-ish> [<path>...] DESCRIPTION
Lists the contents of a given tree object, like what "/bin/ls -a" does in the current working directory. Note that: o the behaviour is slightly different from that of "/bin/ls" in that the <path> denotes just a list of patterns to match, e.g. so specifying directory name (without -r) will behave differently, and order of the arguments does not matter. o the behaviour is similar to that of "/bin/ls" in that the <path> is taken as relative to the current working directory. E.g. when you are in a directory sub that has a directory dir, you can run git ls-tree -r HEAD dir to list the contents of the tree (that is sub/dir in HEAD). You don't want to give a tree that is not at the root level (e.g. git ls-tree -r HEAD:sub dir) in this case, as that would result in asking for sub/sub/dir in the HEAD commit. However, the current working directory can be ignored by passing --full-tree option. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> Id of a tree-ish. -d Show only the named tree entry itself, not its children. -r Recurse into sub-trees. -t Show tree entries even when going to recurse them. Has no effect if -r was not passed. -d implies -t. -l, --long Show object size of blob (file) entries. -z line termination on output and do not quote filenames. See OUTPUT FORMAT below for more information. --name-only, --name-status List only filenames (instead of the "long" output), one per line. --abbrev[=<n>] Instead of showing the full 40-byte hexadecimal object lines, show only a partial prefix. Non default number of digits can be specified with --abbrev=<n>. --full-name Instead of showing the path names relative to the current working directory, show the full path names. --full-tree Do not limit the listing to the current working directory. Implies --full-name. [<path>...] When paths are given, show them (note that this isn't really raw pathnames, but rather a list of patterns to match). Otherwise implicitly uses the root level of the tree as the sole path argument. OUTPUT FORMAT
<mode> SP <type> SP <object> TAB <file> This output format is compatible with what --index-info --stdin of git update-index expects. When the -l option is used, format changes to <mode> SP <type> SP <object> SP <object size> TAB <file> Object size identified by <object> is given in bytes, and right-justified with minimum width of 7 characters. Object size is given only for blobs (file) entries; for other entries - character is used in place of size. Without the -z option, pathnames with "unusual" characters are quoted as explained for the configuration variable core.quotePath (see git- config(1)). Using -z the filename is output verbatim and the line is terminated by a NUL byte. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-LS-TREE(1)