Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie Awk data sorting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie Awk data sorting Post 302116456 by i_am_a_robot on Friday 4th of May 2007 05:11:48 AM
Old 05-04-2007
Error Newbie Awk data sorting

Hi guys, just started using awk here.

I've got a file called a.txt which contains a load of numbers on each line e.g.

I want to learn how to do three things:

1. Find the minimum
2. Find the maximum
3. Find the average

I want to learn how to do this using awk. Pretty basic stuff I should think but all I'm new to this so help please.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting data from who by IP

Hello. I have an RS/6000 running AIX 4 and I need to be able to see if there are any users that are logged on more than once from the same terminal so I can kick them off to make room for other terminals. 64 connections is the limit. Currently I am doing this: who | more and then manually... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL data - sorting

Hello, I have a page where multiple fields and their values are displayed. But I am able to sort only a few fields. When I looked into the issue, it is seen that the for each row of info , an unique id is generated and id.txt is generated and saved. Only those fields which are inside that id.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data from a to z

Hi, Let's say I have these 3 columns; NGC1234 6 9 SL899 4 1 NGC1075 8 3 SL709 5 2 And I want to sort the data according to the first column (from a to z) like having them as: NGC1075 8 3 NGC1234 6 9 SL709 5 2 SL899 4 1 Can that be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the data right justified with through awk.

Dear all, I have a inputfile like some what like this - 1000.98651 1000.96696 999.98904 991.66864 986.51829 986.49467 17.44122 16.74039 16.74021 10.92725 desired output 1000.98651 1000.96696 0999.98904 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data

Hello guys. I need help figuring this one out. It's probably really easy. Thanks in advance! I have a file say for example containing this: Rice Food Carrots Food Beans Food Plates Kitchen Fork Kitchen Knives Kitchen I need: Food Rice, Carrots, Beans Kitchen Plates, Fork,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visuelz
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting

Hi All, I have a long list made of 4 columns containing entries such as the following example: a b c d 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 2 5 3 4 3 8 4 6 4 10 9 8 5 15 8 10So the top row is the header and I need to arrange the data in a way as to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the Data

My actual data looks like below i have given only format. i can't give exact data format of my requirement due to some reasons. I this set of data lines about 5000 I need to come up with information in below exact format of my data set : Line<space>Number1<space>"somedata":... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting data - awk or sort or both

data: C812F5C9B 0818053014 P S SYSPROC SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED C812F5C9B 0818054514 P S SYSPROC SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED C812F5C9B 0818060014 P S SYSPROC SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED C812F5C9B 0818061514 P S SYSPROC ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Perl(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 File::Find::Rule::Perl(3)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Perl - Common rules for searching for Perl things SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule (); use File::Find::Rule::Perl (); # Find all Perl files smaller than 10k my @files = File::Find::Rule->perl_file ->size('<10Ki') ->in('dir'); # Locate all the modules that PAUSE will index my @mod = File::Find::Rule->no_index ->perl_module ->in('My-Distribution'); DESCRIPTION
I write a lot of things that muck with Perl files. And it always annoyed me that finding "perl files" requires a moderately complex File::Find::Rule pattern. File::Find::Rule::Perl provides methods for finding various types Perl-related files, or replicating search queries run on a distribution in various parts of the CPAN ecosystem. METHODS
perl_module The "perl_module" rule locates perl modules. That is, files that are named "*.pm". This rule is equivalent to "->"file->name( '*.pm' )> and is included primarily for completeness. perl_test The "perl_test" rule locates perl test scripts. That is, files that are named "*.t". This rule is equivalent to "->"file->name( '*.t' )> and is included primarily for completeness. perl_installer The "perl_installer" rule locates perl distribution installers. That is, it locates "Makefile.PL" and "Build.PL" files. perl_script The "perl_script" rule locates perl scripts. This is any file that ends in .pl, or any files without extensions that have a perl "hash-bang" line. perl_file The "perl_file" rule locates all files containing Perl code. This includes all the files matching the above "perl_module", "perl_test", "perl_installer" and "perl_script" rules. no_index # Provide the rules directly $rule->no_index( directory => [ 'inc', 't', 'examples' ], file => [ 'Foo.pm', 'lib/Foo.pm' ], ); # Provide a META.yml to use $rule->no_index( 'META.yml' ); # Provide a dist root directory to look for a META.yml in $rule->no_index( 'My-Distribution' ); # Automatically pick up a META.yml from the target directory $rule->no_index->in( 'My-Distribution' ); The "no_index" method applies a set of rules as per the no_index section in a "META.yml" file. SUPPORT
Bugs should always be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=File-Find-Rule-Perl> For other issues, contact the maintainer AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
<http://ali.as/>, File::Find::Rule, File::Find::Rule::PPI COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2012 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2012-10-31 File::Find::Rule::Perl(3)