Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursive pid script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursive pid script Post 302116251 by jbarnhar on Wednesday 2nd of May 2007 03:14:21 PM
Old 05-02-2007
Thanks for the help everyone.....

I ended up figuring out the solution pending your assistance....Here is the updated code if anyone cares.....LOL

#!/bin/ksh
touch running.out
pid_file=pid_file.lst
while [ -f running.out ]
do
ps -ef|grep $1|grep -v root|cut -f5 -d" " > $pid_file
ps -ef|grep $1|grep -v root
if [ -s $pid_file ];
then
while read item;
do
xcmd=$(ps -f -p$item|grep $item|cut -c16-20)
echo $(ps -f -p$item|grep $item)
if [ -n $xcmd ];
then
touch looping.out
while [ -f looping.out ]
do
xcmd2=$(ps -f -p$xcmd|grep $xcmd|cut -c16-20)
echo $(ps -f -p$xcmd|grep $xcmd)
if [ -n $xcmd2 -a "${xcmd2}" != ' 0' ];
then
xcmd=$(ps -f -p$xcmd2|grep $xcmd2|cut -c16-20)
echo $(ps -f -p$xcmd2|grep $xcmd2)
else
echo "No additional Parent PID found"
rm looping.out
exit
fi
done
else
echo "No Parent PID found"
fi
done < $pid_file
else
echo "$1 session is not on the system"
rm running.out
fi
done

The output generated looks like this:

# ./tunnel_ppid.sh sqlplus
oracle 7171 3591 0 15:06:29 pts/ta 00:00 /U03/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/sqlplus -s
oracle 7171 3591 0 15:06:29 pts/ta 0:00 /U03/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/sqlplus -s
oracle 3591 5120 0 14:42:57 pts/ta 0:00 /bin/ksh ./refresh_tables.sh
oracle 5120 5069 0 16:24:00 pts/ta 0:00 -su
dc01928 5069 5068 0 16:23:20 pts/ta 0:00 -sh
root 5068 1261 0 16:23:19 pts/ta 0:00 telnetd
root 1261 1 0 16:12:59 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -l
root 1 0 0 16:11:49 ? 0:06 init
root 0 0 0 16:11:49 ? 0:22 swapper
No additional Parent PID found

Which shows you the progression of who is ultimately running a process.....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problem due to recursive directories Help please

Hello everyone , I am looking for a better solution then the one I have created for the my Task The task is: Create an automated script that will check for Uploads in a specified Directory and move them to another specified Directory if the files are completely uploaded. Files are FTP'd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid.cleanup script.

Hi guys! I have a directory in the production environment from which i have to delete files older then 40 minutes with .pid extention. I wrote a script below for the purpose. #!/bin/bash # # Script to delete specific file older than N minutes. # OLDERTHAN="40" #40 minutes ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajid.shah
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive Shell script

I'm trying to run the script below recursively but it is generating multiple and simultaneous processes. how do I do to start same script again (last line of my script) only after he had just run entirely? The file name is bachup.sh I am using this command: # / bin / bash / ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprool
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic needed to recursive looping in the script

Hello i have a requirement where in a file i will get string. The length could be from 1 to 20. if the string is less than 6 characters ( ex: ABCD) . i need to append 'X' on right hand side to make it 6 characters (ex: ABCDXX). if suppose i get the same string from the file as ABCDXX then i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with recursive handbrake script

I have a batch of mkv video files I would like to transcode to a more compressed format. After spending a significant amount of time experimenting with various parameters I think I have found the handbrake settings that give the best compromise. I now want to construct a simple bash script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonesal2
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with creating recursive unzip script

Hello. I am trying to create a script that recursively looks at my folder structure, and extracts any .7z files that have not already been extracted yet. I know that all .7z files only have a single .txt file in them, and the only .txt file in any directory would be from that .7z file. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinator
3 Replies
serialize(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialize(1)

NAME
serialize - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] pid] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to force the target process to run serially with other processes also marked by this command. The target process can be referred to by pid value, or it can be invoked directly on the command. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion unless is reissued on the serialized process with the option. The option causes the pid specified with the option to return to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput, since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed serially instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process will run for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. Options supports the following options: Indicates the process specified by pid should be returned to timeshare scheduling. Indicates the pid of the target process. If neither option is specified, is invoked on the command line passed in. RETURN VALUE
returns the following value: Successful completion. Invalid pid specification, nonnumeric entry, or pid specification is that of a special system process. Could not execute the specified command. No such process. Must be root or a member of a group having the privilege to execute ERRORS
fails under the following condition and sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. EXAMPLES
Use to force a database application to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Force a currently running process with a pid value of 215 to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Return a process previously marked for serialization to normal timeshare scheduling. The pid of the target process for this example is WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), serialize(2). serialize(1)