Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting new to perl.. how do I do this ? fork/ threads ? Post 302116233 by the_learner on Wednesday 2nd of May 2007 01:04:32 PM
Old 05-02-2007
Can I use fork() to start more than 1 child processes ?

What I have so far is:

Quote:
my $pid = fork();

if (not defined $pid) {

print "resources not avilable.\n ";

}
if ($pid == 0) {

#
# child process - Do something here !
#

} else {

#
# parent process - Do something here !
#

waitpid($pid,0);

#Both child and parent has finished.
}
But this will spawn off 1 child and I have 1 parent. But I need 3 processes. ANd all 3 should be doing something else.

Please help !!! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl v5.8.5 Threads Problem

Hi Unix gurus, I am facing a threading problem in Perl. I have a worker thread in perl in which I am calling a shell script. The shell script echo's output to the Standard Output from time to time as it progresses. In the worker thread, I am unable to display the echo statement of shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl fork

Hi, I want to exec three different functions in perl one per fork(); How can I determine that this it the third fork and I should use third function in it. if ($pid = 0) { first();} else ( #parent second(); ) How to run third function? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl launch threads in an array variable?

Im having a problem launching multiple sub routines as threads. My script seems to stop when the first thread is launched. Im condensing the code for simplification here: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use threads; srand; my ($cnt,$line,$iprange_rand); my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork in perl

Can someone tell me perl fork example please. I tried online but could not get proper documentation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork in perl

Hi, I have a file which has some 50 hosts, I want to login to each host using ssh and execute any command. I am using fork function in perl. I am able to login to each host and execute the command in the hosts paralelly, but it spawing/forking 50 processes at a time. It will consume the cpu... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using threads in perl

Hi everyone, I am trying to create a script which runs a number of processes simultaneously and at the same time use a timer to keep track of what is going on. The problem is that the timer stops and the script exits upon the completion of some of the processes, whereas I want to timer to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2rhyme2k
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Threads Terminating Abnormally.

I've used threads before, but not with Perl. I tried looking up these errors and using 'join' instead of 'detach' with no luck. Here is the code I am currently using: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use warnings; use threads; use threads::shared; $Linux='Linux'; $Greek='Greek'; my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation on Perl Fork

Hi, I am breaking my head to understand the below line of code in perl: next if $pid = fork; # Parent goes to next server. die "fork failed: $!" unless defined $pid; Can anyone please explain me in detail as I am a slow learner? Thanks, Ali. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
2 Replies
DH_PERL(1)							     Debhelper								DH_PERL(1)

NAME
       dh_perl - calculates Perl dependencies and cleans up after MakeMaker

SYNOPSIS
       dh_perl [debhelperoptions] [-d] [librarydirs...]

DESCRIPTION
       dh_perl is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${perl:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files.

The program will look at Perl scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on perl or
       perlapi. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${perl:Depends}.

dh_perl also cleans up empty directories that MakeMaker can generate when installing Perl modules.

OPTIONS
       -d  In some specific cases you may want to depend on perl-base rather than the full perl package. If so, you can pass the -d option to make
	   dh_perl generate a dependency on the correct base package. This is only necessary for some packages that are included in the base
	   system.

Note that this flag may cause no dependency on perl-base to be generated at all. perl-base is Essential, so its dependency can be left
	   out, unless a versioned dependency is needed.

-V  By default, scripts and architecture independent modules don't depend on any specific version of perl. The -V option causes the current
	   version of the perl (or perl-base with -d) package to be specified.

library dirs
	   If your package installs Perl modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_perl check those directories by passing their names
	   on the command line. It will only check the vendorlib and vendorarch directories by default.

CONFORMS TO
       Debian policy, version 3.8.3

Perl policy, version 1.20

SEE ALSO
       debhelper(7)

This program is a part of debhelper.

AUTHOR
       Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org>

11.1.6ubuntu2							    2018-05-10								DH_PERL(1)