Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in renaming file !!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help in renaming file !!! Post 302116232 by kumarsaravana_s on Wednesday 2nd of May 2007 12:45:06 PM
Old 05-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennstate
From the man pages,

Code:
       ${name#pattern}, ${name##pattern}
              If pattern matches the beginning of the value of parameter name,
              the matched text is deleted from the result of substitution.   A
              single  #  results in the shortest match, two #'s results in the
              longest match.

${name%pattern}, ${name%%pattern}
              Like ${..#..} substitution, but it deletes from the end  of  the
              value.

Thanks
Nagarajan Ganesan.
Thanks Nagaraj.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming a file to the same name

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knows how i take in a file, format the file, and then rename the file as the same name as the input file in shell script. Here is an example of what I am doing: if ] then echo "please enter a filename" else export infile=$1 I take in a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lachino8
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file name

I have an audit log that is produced each day from a production printer. It names the file using todays date, but it removes the leading zero's. For example: todays date 060104 names the file 6104.txt. I ftp this file onto a Sun box and pull stats off of it. To keep some consistency to what I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming file

Dear Friends, Need your help once again. I have this file name e.g.1) report_12.rp_1 e.g.2) remark_mm.rmr_3 I want it to be renamed as report_12_1.rp remark_mm_3.rmr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file

I am a complete Unix newbie and I need some help! (Please...) I need to rename a file from the following format: Test_Test_EAR_1234.ear To the following: Test_Test_EAR.ear In other words, I need to remove everything after & including the final underscore up to the "." What is the best... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeloLisa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file

Hello, I have an outstanding issue..Iam on linux and using a putty to connect to my server and then fire our unix shell script. At location /usr/sam a file called "er 1 32.txt" out boss transfer via application. From my end on terminal when i want to transfer this file to some other location... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Renaming a file

I have a file named as Pro_PatAct_MMDDYYYY.csv. I need to renmae it to this Pro_PatAct.csv without the date timestamp. Can someone help me to achieve this using a regular expn. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran_affu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming File

Hi there, I have 350 files in this directory: /home/adams/29 that was mistakenly renamed in this format: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt.dat I want to take out the trailing .dat so that it ends in .txt: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt I need help please. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Creems
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies
ns_sched(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				      ns_sched(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_after, ns_cancel, ns_pause, ns_resume, ns_schedule_daily, ns_schedule_proc, ns_schedule_weekly, ns_unschedule_proc - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_after seconds {script | procname ?args?} ns_cancel id ns_pause id ns_resume id ns_schedule_daily ?-thread? ?-once? hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_proc ?-thread? ?-once? interval {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_weekly ?-thread? ?-once? day hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_unschedule_proc id _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_after run the specified script or procedure after the specified number of seconds ns_after returns an id which can be used with the ns_pause, ns_cancel and ns_resume apis. ns_cancel stops the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if unscheduled 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be unscheduled ns_pause pauses the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if paused, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be paused ns_resume resumes the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if resumed, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be resumed ns_schedule_daily ns_schedule_daily runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a day at the time specified by hour and minute. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_daily returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_proc ns_schedule_proc runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) at an interval specified by interval. The interval is the number of seconds between runs of the script. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_proc returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_weekly ns_schedule_weekly runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a week on the day specified by day and the time speci- fied by hour and minute. The day can be from 0 to 6, where 0 represents Sunday. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_weekly returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_unschedule_proc id ns_unschedule_proc stops a scheduled procedure from executing anymore. The scheduled procedure to be stopped is identified by its id, which was returned by the ns_schedule* function that was used to schedule the procedure. EXAMPLES
ns_after ns_cancel ns_pause ns_resume This example illustrates a web interface used to manage jobs. Depending on the action provided a job can be created, cancelled, paused or resumed. set action [ns_queryget action] set job [ns_queryget job] switch $action { create { set job [ns_after 10 [ns_queryget script]] ns_puts "Job created with id: $job" } cancel { if {[ns_cancel $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job cancelled" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not cancelled" } } pause { if {[ns_pause $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job paused" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not paused } } resume { if {[ns_resume $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job resumed" } else { ns_puts "Job $job couldn't be resumed" } } default { ns_puts "Invalid action $action" } } ns_schedule_daily This example defines a script called rolllog that uses ns_accesslog to roll the access log to a file with an extension containing the current date. The ns_schedule_daily function is used to execute the rolllog script on a daily basis. # Script to roll and rcp log file to host "grinder" proc rolllog {} { set suffix [ns_strftime "%y-%m-%d"] set new [ns_accesslog file].$suffix ns_accesslog roll $new exec rcp $new grinder:/logs/[file tail $new] } # Schedule "rolllog" to run at 3:30 am each morning ns_schedule_daily -thread 3 30 rolllog ns_schedule_proc proc dosomething blah { ns_log Notice "proc with arg '$blah'" } ns_schedule_proc 10 dosomething $arg1 SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
schedule pause resume unschedule cancel after AOLserver 4.0 ns_sched(3aolserver)