Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED scripting select
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED scripting select Post 302116144 by anbu23 on Wednesday 2nd of May 2007 04:59:00 AM
Old 05-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_a_robot
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar using awk and I really want to learn how to do this with sed. So how would I go about doing this in sed?

Thanks
Code:
sed "s/[^:]*://" file

Code:
sed "s/:[^:]*$//;s/.*://" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting with awk and sed

hey all, i was just wondering if it was possible to to get data from user input , and parse it through sed to remove or add what that user has entered into a flat file? do i need awk ? any help is greatly appreciated ~shan2on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shan2on
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed scripting help need

hi all, i want to display output of sar, whichever idle time is less than 30%..i want to add HI and BYE at the starting and ending of the line. For an example: sar Linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp (hostname) 07/10/2009 07:10:01 AM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %idle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select ip and date using sed or gawk

1.56.253.48 - - "GET " 1.6.253.48 - - "GET " 1.65.253.48 - - "GET " 1.65.253.48 - - "GET " 1.63.53.48 - - "GET " 1.65.253.48 - - "GET " 1.16.23.48 - - "GET " 1.64.25.48 - - "GET " need command which give the output 1.6.253.48 - 09/Nov/2009:07:02:24 1.65.253.48 -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_evc
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fuser - how to select the given PID? (awk/sed)

Hello, I'm trying to select, or well put the PID that is given by fuser to a var.. It has a wierd format and I somehow can't get it working, any awk/sed experts about? PID=`fuser $file | awk/sed....?` if ; then kill $PID fi Greetings and thanks for all your awesome help in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting -- sed

Hi, In one of my scripts, I am using sed to do an expression replacement. The code in the script is as under sed "s|MY_INP_Lab=""|MY_INP_Lab="${2}"|" file1, where $2=xyz_abc_mbk The EXPECTED output is in file1, all the instances ofMY_INP_Lab="" shall be replaced by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekmattar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed scripting issue

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone could help suggest some solutions to an issue i'm having using the Sed command. I'm still a relative novice at this, but slowly learning and enjoying the power of batch processing. I am using Sed to extract values from a .txt file containing hundreds of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StudentFitz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed scripting

Hi expert, i need URGENT help in bash shell scripting using sed: i woud like to search for the word XMLRPC which is at theend of the line below in up2date file. Once found or match serverURL=https://redhat.com/XMLRPC replace with myserver.com like this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Turning to SED to select specific records

Hi All, I am looking for a simple concise solution most likely using sed to process the following 4 rows of data from the same record and only keeps it if the second record satisfy certain critea such as surname matches up to smith or jackson: John (firstname) Smith (surname) ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed for select and retrieve data

I would like to recover the data from 3 text tags. These three markers are located between the tags specific location <tag1> and </tag1> knowing that they are in many places. In File.txt: <tag2>txt2</tag2> <tag3>txt3</tag3> <tag4>txt4</tag4> .... <tag1> <tag2>txt2</tag2>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amad
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Returns the question name attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.16.2 2012-01-27 Net::DNS::Question(3)