Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compress multiple files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compress multiple files Post 302115902 by blowtorch on Sunday 29th of April 2007 10:53:50 PM
Old 04-29-2007
To use tar and gzip/compress together, you will have to use the pipe '|'.

Like this:
To compress:
Code:
tar -cf - list_of_file_names | gzip > output_file.tar.gz

To uncompress:
Code:
gzip -dc output_file.tar.gz | tar -xf -

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress all INACTIVE Files

Hi gurus, I have a batch job running daily night automatically. The job produces file with extension '.0' like a.0, b.0 etc. Now due to file space constraints, most of the time, the job fails with insufficient disk space and then we have to manually start the job again and keep running the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress files

Hi All, I would like to archive some of the scripts below(USFINUM042006_01.CSV USFINUM042006_02.CSV and USFINUM042006_03.CSV )and also use a wildcard e.g. <command> USFINUM*.CSV. Also there are a lot of similar files but I want only the three latest files to be compressed. Which is the best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress files

Could someone give me an idea how to compress all files from a given directory that are not of type .z (compressed). Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress multiple files at one go

I want to compress all the files which are three years older ..I have thousands of files... 1) This doesnt work find ./ -type f -mtime +1176 -print | xargs -n1 -i tar -cvf {} Errror tar: Missing filenames Probably because of - find ./ -type f -mtime -1 -print returns - " ./temp.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find new files and compress them

Hi! First off I'd like to stress that I'm a true dummy :) I have a website with SSH access and since it has user generated content I want to backup my website every day end send it through FTP to a different server. I got it working for my mysql database, so the only thing remaining are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Wegener
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress files as per timestamp in multiple subdirectories

I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me with this code A directory with multiple subdirectories has multiple files which are timestamp'ed. We need to - compress files as per timestamp - save compressed file/s in the respective folder - delete the source files ============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreewin7
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress Files in Multiple Directories

I would like to compress the files in multiple directories. For some reason, it only compress the first directory (/Sanbox/logs1) but not the rest of the other directories ("/Sanbox/logs2" "/Sanbox/logs3" "/Sanbox/logs4" ). Any help would be appreciated. Here's my code: #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Loc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compress multiple gzip files

Good afternoon friends. I wanted to make a query, how to compress several files and leave them all in 1, for example flat text files: filename_1.csv filename_2.csv filename_3.csv expected result filename_end.gzip = (filename_1.csv filename_2.csv filename_3.csv) please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uudecode, uuencode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [-o output_file] [file] name uudecode [-cips] [file ...] uudecode [-i] -o output_file [file] DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode utilities are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The uuencode utility reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output, or output_file if one has been specified. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. The uudecode utility transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named either name or (depending on options passed to uudecode) output_file and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and exe- cute bits are not retained. The uudecode utility ignores any leading and trailing lines. The following options are available for uuencode: -m Use the Base64 method of encoding, rather than the traditional uuencode algorithm. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of standard output. The following options are available for uudecode: -c Decode more than one uuencode'd file from file if possible. -i Do not overwrite files. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of any pathname contained in the input data. -p Decode file and write output to standard output. -s Do not strip output pathname to base filename. By default uudecode deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' for security purpose. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user The following example unpack all uuencode'd files from your mailbox into your current working directory. uudecode -c < $MAIL The following example extract a compress'ed tar archive from your mailbox uudecode -o /dev/stdout < $MAIL | zcat | tar xfv - LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy operation, uudecode masks file modes with 0666, preventing the creation of executable files. uudecode cannot change the mode of a created file which is not owned by the current user (unless that user is root). In legacy operation, fchmod(2) allows the mode to be changed. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). SEE ALSO
basename(1), compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), fchmod(2), uuencode(5) BUGS
Files encoded using the traditional algorithm are expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4, plus control information). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
January 27, 2002 BSD