Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem Connecting to Socket
Top Forums Programming Problem Connecting to Socket Post 302115887 by reborg on Sunday 29th of April 2007 05:21:13 PM
Old 04-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj.rana
Hi,
apart from the previous solutions given to u.
one thing i want to add if u are still facing some error
then please use these options at the time of compilations
-lnsl -lsocket -lresolv and i hope then u r program will work fine.
Smilie
Please follow the rules and use full words. Cyberchat style of writing is not allowed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Socket Problem

Hi all, I have developed server/client application (using C) and tested it on the same machine .. but when I deploy them on different machines I get connection timeout. Well .. server machine and client machine exists on different network segments, so there is a linux firewall box to route... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agent007
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting with X-win problem

Hello all, I am trying to connect to my Solaris 8 system with X-win. However, when i try to connect, a black screen comes up, then closes up immediatley. I have checked /var/dt/Xerrors, and I am getting the folllowing: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion Warning:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragunu
2 Replies

3. Programming

and again, socket() related problem...

Dear All, I've searched many topics and googled many web-pages, but still I didn't found solution to this problem. I want to set timeout for connect(). The thing is, that my code works only on BSD, on Linux (tested on SuSE box) it freezes at connect() call :( bool SomeFunc(std::string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sggkxv
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with socket connection

I have a client /server file operation program.It works properly when i run the client and server program in the same system.but when i try to run the client in one system and server in another system i am getting an error in the cleint machine as "ERROR:Connection refused". Plz help me in this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

6. Programming

Socket++ library problem.

Hi, My name is Daniel and I'm spanish, so I'm sorry if you can't undertand something becouse of my low-level english. Something stranger is happening to me with socket++ library and I don't know how to work on it. I has a library called commands.so and the sslclient is and object of that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lock.cda
4 Replies

7. Programming

Debugging IO::Socket Not Connecting

I'm using perl to connect to a port on a unix box from a windows machine. The unix box is located in a remote office and I'm able to connect just fine from my desktop at work across the network. But if I try to remote to another windows machine at the same location as the unix box and try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwboy74
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem connecting with Reflection X 14.1

Other people at work are able to connect but I am not. I am not sure if there is a setting that I am missing. Connecting from Win7 to Solaris 10. Connection attempt log: gnome-session Connecting 144.243.90.235 via TELNET Thu Mar 29 15:15:32 2012 login: *** Password: ******* Last login: Thu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Execution Problem with socket

Hi My socket program is to communicate between the two systems connected with lan. Always i am getting an error saying bind value is -1 or not connected. ..If i run both the server and client programs in the same machine in two diff terminals they are working but they are not working between two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurvareddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in connecting to db in a loop

Im trying to run a query in multiple db thro sqlplus in a loop written n shell script. whenevr there is a problem in connecting to db, the shell script abruptly exits. My requirement is , when db connection fails, the script should print the msg and contnue to connect to the next db mentioned in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
10 Replies
SOCKET(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    SOCKET(1)

NAME
socket - create a TCP or a UNIX domain socket and connect to stdin/out SYNOPSIS
socket [ -bcfqrvw ] [ -p command ] [ -B local address ] host port socket [ -bcfqrvw ] [ -p command ] /path socket [ -bcfqrvw ] [ -p command ] [ -B local address ] -s [ -l ] port socket [ -bcfqrvw ] [ -p command ] -s [ -l ] /path DESCRIPTION
Socket creates an Internet domain TCP or a UNIX domain stream socket and connects it to stdin and stdout. The host argument can be an Internet number in dot-notation (like ``130.149.28.10'') or a domain name. In this case it must be possible to resolve the name to a valid Internet address with gethostbyname(3). The port argument can be a port number or a service name which can be mapped to a port number by getservbyname(3). If an UNIX domain socket is wanted to be created instead of an Internet socket, specify the path instead of an internet (canonical domain named or dot-notated) host. The hostname is treated as a pathname if contains at least a single slash. I.e. if one wants to create or connect to a socket in the current directory, use ./filename to specify the connection point. OPTIONS
-b (background) The program forks itself into the background, detaches from its controlling tty, closes the file descriptors associated with the tty, and changes its current directory to the root directory. -B (local address) This option specifies which local address to binded to when making a connection. -c (crlf) Linefeed characters (LF) are converted to a Carriage Return Linefeed sequence (CRLF) when written to the socket. CRLF sequences read from the socket are converted to a single LF. -f (fork) When a server connection has been accepted, a separate process is forked to handle the connection in background. -l (loop) (only valid with -s) After a connection has been closed, another connection is accepted. -p (program) The specified command is executed for each connection. Its standard input, standard output, and standard error channels are con- nected to the socket. Command can be any shell command since it is passed to /bin/sh. -q (quit) The connection is closed when an end-of-file condition occurs on standard input. -r (read only) No data is read from standard input and written to the socket. -s (server) A server socket is created. A hostname argument is not required of Internet sockets, only the port number but a pathname is required for UNIX domain sockets. -v (verbose) Messages about connections etc. are issued to stderr. -w (write only) No data is read from the socket and written to the standard output. -version Socket prints its version ID and terminates. This must be the first argument to have an effect. EXAMPLES
The command socket -v coma.cs.tu-berlin.de nntp connects to the nntp port (port 119) of coma.cs.tu-berlin.de (130.149.28.10). The command socket -sl 3425 creates a server socket on port 3425 on the local host and waits for a connection. After a connection has been closed, a new connection is accepted. The command socket -wslqvp "echo Socket! " 1938 creates a server socket on port 1938 on the local host and waits for a connection. When a connection is accepted, the string "Socket!" is written to the socket. No data is read from the socket and written to the finger program. The connection is closed when an end-of-file condition at the standard output of the program occurs. Then a new connection is accepted. DIAGNOSTICS
Lots of diagnostics for failed system calls. unknown host host host's address could not be resolved. Signal signal caught, exiting Socket exits on any signal other than SIGTSTP, SIGCONT, SIGCLD, SIGQUIT. A non-zero exit code is returned if socket terminates due to an error condition or a signal. SEE ALSO
ip(7), tcp(7), unix(7), accept(2), bind(2), listen(2), connect(2), socket(2), gethostbyname(3), getservbyname(3) BUGS
socket -p terminates due to a SIGPIPE signal when there is more data from the socket available than the executed program wants to read. Please report any other bugs to the author. VERSION
This manual page describes Socket-1.1. AUTHOR
Juergen Nickelsen <nickel@cs.tu-berlin.de> Aug 6, 1992 SOCKET(1)