Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk scripting and usage of regex to locate a hyperlink Post 302115857 by reborg on Saturday 28th of April 2007 04:53:28 PM
Old 04-28-2007
One warning and only one.

The rules prohibit homwork/classroom posts. Persisting in posting this type of question will result in being banned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of set in shell scripting

I am not able to understand the mentioned usage of set. $A set $l Please reply ASAP. Need to fix sth in my code. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage...sed/awk/reg-exp ..in shell scripting

in shell scripting there is extensive usage of i> regular expression ii>sed iii>awk can anyone tell me the suitable contexts ...i mean which one is suitable for what kind of operation. like the reg-exp and sed seems to be doing the same job..i.e pattern matching (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

3. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of locate

Hi The locate command searches the pattern in all the directories. How can i make it look in for a specific directory because i know the directory in which the file exists. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut on last backslash on hyperlink string-sed/awk??

hyper link- abc:8081/xyz/2.5.6/rtyp-2.5.6.jar Needs to get "rtyp-2.5.6.jar" i.e character after last backslash "/" how to do this using sed/awk?? help is highly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkscm
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need EOF usage in shell scripting

Hi all, Can any one explain the usage of EOF in shell scripting?? Gone through some examples from google, but it is not clear... Examples are: 1. $ tr << EOF > abcd > efgh > iojk > EOF O/P is: ABCD EFGH IOJK 2. echo << EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi im new to bash scripting I want to know what does the regex expression do ??

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in Shell Scripting to pick values

Hi After lot of trial and error I am really bowled out with the requirement in hand and honestly you are my last hope Here is what I want to achieve Values *IF *VALUE MS_SQL_Statistics_Summary.Client_Count_Percent_Used *GT 70.00 *AND *VALUE... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
20 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)