Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple file handling
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Multiple file handling Post 302115843 by anbu23 on Saturday 28th of April 2007 03:42:03 AM
Old 04-28-2007
Code:
awk -F"|" ' NR == FNR { arr[$1]=$2; next } {  print $1"|"arr[$1] } ' file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File Handling in C

Hi all, I have a problem in handling files through C. here is the problem im having: i will query the database (for instance consider employees table ) for empno,ename,job,salary fields.The query returns me some 100 of rows. now i need to place them in a file in row wise pattern as they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinath
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling?

General Question: If a script calls multiple external programs (external to the script, but still on unix), where do the return codes go? Let's say one of external programs fails, does the entire script fail and send a non-zero return code to the job scheduling software, or is the return code sent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling multiple fields of a database file for toupper() function in awk

hello everyone.... script is: To convert the contents of a database file into uppercase my code is: printf "%s\n" , $2 | awk '{print toupper($2)}' emp.lst i m able to do only for one field.....didn't get any sources for handling multiple fields. please suggest me for multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Bhati
1 Replies

4. Programming

Handling Multiple terminals

Hi, Basically I've written a game in ncurses that supports multiple players. Each player has a process associated with him which shares a segment of memory in which the player's structures are stored, and these structured are accessed by the 'server' program and handled there. The scope of the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgre0018
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling multiple files using awk command and wants to get separate out file for each

hai all I am new to the world of shell scripting I wanted to extract two columns from multiple files say around 25 files and i wanted to get the separate outfile for each input file tired using the following command to extract two columns from 25 files awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hema dhevi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

please help me in file handling

sir i have to get first line from a file for example >cat file1 abc zxc asd adsf from that file1 i need only first line expected result >abc please help me ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Handling multiple files using awk

Hi, I am trying to process 2 files simultaneously using awk satisfying following condition, Both files contain 3 columns. It should take entry from column 1 from first file, look for that entry in file 2 and if found, add column 2 and column 3 from both files and output to third file. For e.g.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muazfarooqaslam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Handling multiple argument in shell script

Hi i have written a shell script that takes only single ip address from the user and calculates its latency and reliability, can you please tell me that what should be done if i want that user should enter 100 or 1000 ip address (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_17
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISSUE in handling multiple same name files :-(

Dear all, My work is completely stuck cos of the following issue. Please find it here and kindly help me. Task is following: I have set of files with such pattern 1t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 119 Jun 11 10:45 vgtree_5_1_pfs.root 3t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 145 Jun 11 10:46 vgtree_5_3_pfs.root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts for handling multiple options

Hi Guys, I have created a script for our automated DB creation, it works fine with default option(-d). $ ./test_db.ksh -d abc 11 dev -d is Default option ORACLE_SID=abc ORACLE_VERSION=11 ENV_TYPE=dev For creating a customized DB, i thought of giving the user different options.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
8 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::RequireNegativeIndices(User Contributed Perl DocumentPerl::Critic::Policy::Variables::RequireNegativeIndices(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::RequireNegativeIndices - Negative array index should be used. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway points out that $arr[$#arr]; $arr[$#arr-1]; $arr[@arr-1]; $arr[@arr-2]; are equivalent to $arr[-1]; $arr[-2]; $arr[-1]; $arr[-2]; and the latter are more readable, performant and maintainable. The latter is because the programmer no longer needs to keep two variable names matched. This policy notices all of the simple forms of the above problem, but does not recognize any of these more complex examples: $some->[$data_structure]->[$#{$some->[$data_structure]} -1]; my $ref = @arr; $ref->[$#arr]; CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Chris Dolan. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::RequireNegativeIndices(3pm)