Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to retain file permissions during FTP on Solaris 5.9 ? Post 302115673 by varungupta on Thursday 26th of April 2007 09:57:41 AM
Old 04-26-2007
Hey,
U can use the tar command to restore the permissions, group members, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp permissions error

HI, I am not really even a newbie I'm just posing as one until our sys admin gets back from vacation. I am getting errors downloading certain files from an NT Server onto our inhouse Unix fileserver. Certain files always return errors when downloading to their proper directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie10
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file with full permissions

I am running sco openserver 5.0.6 and I was wondering if I could ftp files to one of my other servers and that file have full permissions set automatically on the new server. I have searched the internet and manned chmod chown and ftp but they only seem to talk about giving the permissions after... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to FTP file to UNIX - Solaris

Hello, A couple of times per week, i receive emails notifications when files are available for processing. Currently i read these eamails with a java program and store the attachement on my C: drive and would now like to generate a PC script to send this file name up to UNIX-Solaris and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Permissions

Hi Guys, I am trying to grant FTP acccess to my server for a WebDesigner to be able to upload live and see how it looks online. I created a new user (WebDes:tomcatUsers) and created his home dir as /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/uPhoto/ and then made sure he CHROOT's to his home dir so he only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boarderstu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to retain the header information of a file

Hi, I am using Bash shell to create some data and these data would be piped out to a file, let say output.txt. This output.txt I would like to add some extra header information such as comments, descriptions and general information on the text. I would like to know how could I maintain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain File Timestamp

There are directories of files that I have to run the dos2ux command on to get ride of the carriage return characters. Easy enough, but I have to retain the original timestamps on the files. I am thinking that I am going to have to strip off the timestamp for each file and convert it to unix time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
3 Replies

8. AIX

FTP file permissions

Hi all, I am using ftp command to transfer a file from one AIX5.3 box to different box with the same OS level. Is there a way I could change the permissions on the file once its transferred, as I am automating the process but the file permissions on the target does not allow other users to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions on ftp...

hi, how can I see permissions through ftp connection ? I can't see them using "ls -l" as in the local system.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

retain last 1000 line in a file

I have large file with around 100k+ lines. I wanted to retain only the last 100 lines in that file. One way i thought was using tail -1000 filename > filename1 mv filename1 filename But there should be a better solution.. Is there a way I can use sed or any such command to change the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
9 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)