Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check whether a given file is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited Post 302115565 by Mandab on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 01:46:55 PM
Old 04-25-2007
Thank you cfajohnson for your quick response, I'll confirm you what ASCII format means. For now I know that my script should check whether a file is in ASCII format or not. Regarding date format, my requirement is to match for data type and the length. The value I'll be getting is 20070425 and the data type is date then how do I check it? Is it not possible to check for the date data type if data comes as yyyymmdd?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check the file data type(ascii or binary)

hi i am receiving a file from one system , i have to verify the format of the file data i.e whether the data is in acii format or binary format, please help thanks in advance satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a text file into tab delimited format?

I have a text file that made using text editor in Ubuntu. However the text file is not being recognized as space or tab delimited, the formatting seems to be messed up. How can I convert the text file into tab delimited format? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append output in tab delimited format

hello.. i m scripting in Perl and having issue writing the output in specific format..i read two files and run some commands and write output to one file. i want this to be a 2d table, File one has 48 rows and file two has 48 rows, first i take one id from file one, and go to second file, loop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse tab delimited file, check condition and delete row

I am fairly new to programming and trying to resolve this problem. I have the file like this. CHROM POS REF ALT 10_sample.bam 11_sample.bam 12_sample.bam 13_sample.bam 14_sample.bam 15_sample.bam 16_sample.bam tg93 77 T C T T T T T tg93 79 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position?

Hi Experts, I have a tab deliminated file as below myfile.txt Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Guests I need data in below format starting from 4th position. myfile1.txt Administrators Guests the above one is just an example and there could... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if file is EBCDIC or ASCII format

So, i have this requirement where i need to check the file format, whether it's EBCDIC or ASCII, and based on format retrieve the information from that file: my file is: file1.txt-->this ebcdic file file2.txt-->ascii file i tried below code: file=file1.txt type="`file $file`" i get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating data delimited by ASCII code 1

<Any suggestion how to create a file where the values are separated by ASCII code 1,with data extracted from a table using shell script The format is :/> <columnname1(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname2(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname3(binary1)columnvalue... 1st row/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasun
6 Replies
vis(1)							      General Commands Manual							    vis(1)

NAME
vis, inv - make unprintable and non-ASCII characters in a file visible or invisible SYNOPSIS
file ... file ... DESCRIPTION
reads characters from each file in sequence and writes them to the standard output, converting those that are not printable or not ASCII into a visible form. inv performs the inverse function, reading printable characters from each file, returning them to non-printable or non-ASCII form, if appropriate, then writing them to standard output; Non-printable ASCII characters are represented using C-like escape conventions: backslash backspace escape form-feed new-line carriage return space horizontal tab vertical tab the character whose ASCII code is the 3-digit octal number n. the character whose ASCII code is the 2-digit hexadecimal number n. Non-ASCII single- or multi-byte characters are examined one byte at a time. For each byte, if it can be displayed as an ASCII character, it is treated as if it is an ASCII character; Otherwise, it is represented in the following conventions: the 8-bit character whose code value is the 3-digit octal number n. the 8-bit character whose code value is the 2-digit hexadecimal number n. Space, horizontal-tab, and new-line characters can be treated as printable (and therefore passed unaltered to the output) or non-printable depending on the options selected. Backslash, although printable, is expanded by vis, to a pair of backslashes so that when they are passed back through inv, they convert back to a single backslash. If no input file is given, or if the argument is encountered, and inv read from the standard input. Options and recognize the following options: Treat new-line, space, and horizontal tab as non-printable characters. expands them visibly as and rather than passing them directly to the output. discards these characters, expecting only the printable expansions. New-line characters are inserted by every 16 bytes so that the output will be in a form that is usable by most editors. Make and silent about non-existent files, identical input and output, and write errors. Normally, no input file can be the same as the output file unless it is a special file. Treat horizontal-tab and space characters as non-printable in the same manner that treats them. Cause output to be unbuffered (byte-by-byte); normally, output is buffered. Cause output to be in hexadecimal form rather than the default octal form. Either form is accepted to as input. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Redirecting output to an input file destroys the original data. Therefore, command forms such as should be avoided unless the source file can be safely discarded. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cat(1), echo(1), od(1). vis(1)