Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reinstall root partition
Operating Systems Solaris Reinstall root partition Post 302115559 by jbestor on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 12:44:19 PM
Old 04-25-2007
So I rebuilt the os on a separate disk(c0t1d0). I booted into single user mode from the cd, tried to create a new file system on the old disks root partition (c0t0d0s0). When I do I get an error:

newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/dad@0,0 (dad0):

dad0: disk okay
newfs: construct a new file system /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: (y/n)? y
Uncorrectable data Error: Block 10

disk not responding to selection

read error on sector 16: I/O error

I still get the error mentioned in my first post when I run the format command.
Any enlightenment would be much appreciated
Thanks
Jason

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Can't metattach root partition

I'm mirroring up a T2000. Able to metainit and metattach all partitions with the exception of root. Getting the following error: metattach: <hostname>; c1t1d0s0; is mounted on / I'm stumped. By the way, target 1 is the boot disk. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Probos
7 Replies

3. Solaris

increasing root / partition

Dear all, I have a root partition which is 20 G in size. I have var and /tmp as seperate file systems. But this 20 G of root is not sufficeint. I want to increase the size of the / partition. Is there any way to increase with out down time. my df -k output is Filesystem ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

increase root partition

i am using redhat 5.4 and my root size shows 98 %, how can i increase root size # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 77G 16G 75G 98% / /dev/sda1 2.4G 82M 2.2G 4% /boot tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Root partition filling up

I have a T1000 Sparc server that has a relatively small root partition which is 24Gb and a larger partition dedicated to /export/home that is approximately 100 Gb. We have a lot of data going to /var/audit and to /var/core/corefiles. Is there any non-destructive way to redirect files from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Need to partition root

Hello guys, I am using Solaris 10 x86 OS. While installing OS i have allocated entire 10 GB space to the root. Now i am not able to create new partition it says me "out of range" or "<cylinder number> not expected". Can someone please help me to allocated a default recommended space i.e 8GB or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Cannot tell what is filling up root (/) partition on Sol10

I can see that my root partition is down to single-digit GB free out of 134GB root partition on a larger server with many SAN, NFS, LOFS mounts etc mounted at the root (/) partition. How can I specifically tell which directories is causing the most utilization in my root (/) partition? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

8. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

9. SCO

Resize root partition

I have SCO Openserver 5.0.5 Root partition is 96% full and I would like to make it bigger. How can this be done? 1) Can I use 'dd' to backup 'root' and then backup '/u' to a third hard disk, then divvy the primary hard disk to have a larger 'root' filesystem (i.e. previous root + u) 2) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Regarding OS partition and root user

Dear Concern, I am new in ubuntu. Is root user disable in ubuntu? Also, is os partition default in ubuntu? I don't find any feature to create customize mount point to install OS. Below is my current OS partition. amirislam@blnidapp03:~$ df -h Filesystem Size Used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: makauser
1 Replies
sysdef(1M)						  System Administration Commands						sysdef(1M)

NAME
sysdef - output system definition SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sysdef [-i] [-n namelist] /usr/sbin/sysdef [-h] [-d] [-i] [-D] DESCRIPTION
The sysdef utility outputs the current system definition in tabular form. It lists all hardware devices, as well as pseudo devices, system devices, loadable modules, and the values of selected kernel tunable parameters. It generates the output by analyzing the named bootable operating system file (namelist) and extracting the configuration information from it. The default system namelist is /dev/kmem. OPTIONS
-i Prints the configuration information from /dev/kmem. This is the default and only needs to be specified if the configura- tion information from both /dev/kmem and the system file specified with the "-n namelist" option is needed. -nnamelist Specifies a namelist other than the default (/dev/kmem). The namelist specified must be a valid bootable operating system. -h Prints the identifier of the current host in hexadecimal. This numeric value is unique across all Sun hosts. -d The output includes the configuration of system peripherals formatted as a device tree. -D For each system peripheral in the device tree, display the name of the device driver used to manage the peripheral. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output format The following example displays the format of the sysdef -d output: example% sysdef -d Node 'SUNW,Ultra-5_10', unit #-1 Node 'packages', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'terminal-emulator', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'deblocker', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'obp-tftp', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'disk-label', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,builtin-drivers', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'sun-keyboard', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'ufs-file-system', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'chosen', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'openprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'client-services', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'options', unit #0 Node 'aliases', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'memory', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'virtual-memory', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'pci', unit #0 Node 'pci', unit #0 Node 'ebus', unit #0 Node 'auxio', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'power', unit #0 Node 'SUNW,pll', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'se', unit #0 (no driver) Node 'su', unit #0 Node 'su', unit #1 Node 'ecpp', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'fdthree', unit #0 Node 'eeprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'flashprom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,CS4231', unit #0 (no driver) Node 'network', unit #0 Node 'SUNW,m64B', unit #0 Node 'ide', unit #0 Node 'disk', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'cdrom', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'sd', unit #1 Node 'dad', unit #1 Node 'pci', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi', unit #-1 (no driver) Node 'pseudo', unit #0 [output truncated] FILES
/dev/kmem default operating system image ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hostid(1), prtconf(1M), nlist(3ELF), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2004 sysdef(1M)