Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "vi"-ing a constantly updated file Post 302115554 by Percy on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 12:28:32 PM
Old 04-25-2007
OK cheers guys!

A bit more info:

What exactly I want to do is this:

This is a big file, full of filenames and a hashcode for each filename.
each line in the file is
filename, date, hashcode
filename, date, hashcode

Anyway, so a file comes into a server, gets a hashcode which is then put into this big log file of mine, and then the file is processed.

Should the file be sent in again to the server, its hashcode is checked and if it exists (ie, my process has dealt with it already) it deals with the file appropriately.

I come unstuck when I need to reprocess the same file again - so I need to edit the large log file and remove the entry (the whole line - name,date,hashcode) so that I can feed it through again.

Write a sh to deal with this? - not sure - its one of those where it happens often, but not often enough to justify a sh....but its something I guess I could look into.

One other thing:

Suppose two people sudos to a user (the same user) first, and then edits the file - you don't get the message about the file changing when you save/quit right? - at least that's what it appears to happen over here in bizarro world...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore "a line" within /etc/profile only when su'ing

Is there a way to ignore a command within /etc/profile only when su'ing as any particular user. For instance.... As root, if I run "su - oracle -c program" it is running a string in my profile called "echo "^2;$(hostname)-(ABC) @ $(who am i)^G". I don't want the above string to run if I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission error when "touch"ing file with different user

Hi, There are 2 users (T886072 & T864764) that need to be provided full (rwx) access to a directory. I made the changes to the directory permissions using chmod and setfacl : root@digidb2:# chmod 700 /u02/ftpfiles/MFRS16/discount_rates/ root@digidb2:# setfacl -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
PVMOVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 PVMOVE(8)

NAME
pvmove - move physical extents SYNOPSIS
pvmove [--abort] [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-b|--background] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-i|--interval Seconds] [--noudevsync] [-v|--ver- bose] [-n|--name LogicalVolume] [SourcePhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...] [DestinationPhysicalVolume[:PE[-PE]...]...]] DESCRIPTION
pvmove allows you to move the allocated physical extents (PEs) on SourcePhysicalVolume to one or more other physical volumes (PVs). You can optionally specify a source LogicalVolume in which case only extents used by that LV will be moved to free (or specified) extents on DestinationPhysicalVolume(s). If no DestinationPhysicalVolume is specifed, the normal allocation rules for the volume group are used. If pvmove gets interrupted for any reason (e.g. the machine crashes) then run pvmove again without any PhysicalVolume arguments to restart any moves that were in progress from the last checkpoint. Alternatively use pvmove --abort at any time to abort them at the last check- point. You can run more than one pvmove at once provided they are moving data off different SourcePhysicalVolumes, but additional pvmoves will ignore any logical volumes already in the process of being changed, so some data might not get moved. pvmove works as follows: 1. A temporary 'pvmove' logical volume is created to store details of all the data movements required. 2. Every logical volume in the volume group is searched for contiguous data that need moving according to the command line arguments. For each piece of data found, a new segment is added to the end of the pvmove LV. This segment takes the form of a temporary mirror to copy the data from the original location to a newly-allocated location. The original LV is updated to use the new temporary mirror segment in the pvmove LV instead of accessing the data directly. 3. The volume group metadata is updated on disk. 4. The first segment of the pvmove logical volume is activated and starts to mirror the first part of the data. Only one segment is mir- rored at once as this is usually more efficient. 5. A daemon repeatedly checks progress at the specified time interval. When it detects that the first temporary mirror is in-sync, it breaks that mirror so that only the new location for that data gets used and writes a checkpoint into the volume group metadata on disk. Then it activates the mirror for the next segment of the pvmove LV. 6. When there are no more segments left to be mirrored, the temporary logical volume is removed and the volume group metadata is updated so that the logical volumes reflect the new data locations. Note that this new process cannot support the original LVM1 type of on-disk metadata. Metadata can be converted using vgconvert(8). OPTIONS
--abort Abort any moves in progress. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -b, --background Run the daemon in the background. -i, --interval Seconds Report progress as a percentage at regular intervals. -n, --name LogicalVolume Move only the extents belonging to LogicalVolume from SourcePhysicalVolume instead of all allocated extents to the destination phys- ical volume(s). EXAMPLES
To move all logical extents of any logical volumes on /dev/hda4 to free physical extents elsewhere in the volume group, giving verbose run- time information, use: pvmove -v /dev/hda4 SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgconvert(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) PVMOVE(8)