Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing single space in argument Post 302115423 by ghostdog74 on Tuesday 24th of April 2007 07:36:08 PM
Old 04-24-2007
to input arguments with spaces, on the command line use double quotes
eg
Code:
# ./script arg1 "hello test" blah blah

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a single quote

Hi there I have a data file like so below 'A/1';'T100002';'T100002';'';'01/05/2004';'31/05/2004';'01/06/2004';'08/06/2004';'1.36';'16';'0.22';'0';'0';'1.58';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'clientes\resumen\200405\resumen_T100002_T100002_1.pdf';'';'0001';'S';'20040501';'';'02';'0';'S';'N'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts ... only allow a single instance of an argument?

Hi there, if i have a simple getopts like below ...how can i make it so that if somebody enters more than one -g argument for example, it will error with a " you cannot enter more than one -g" or something like that.? I want to only allow one instance of a -g or a -h etc .. while getopts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts : two values to a single argument ?

Hi Gurus I am trying to figure out (with not much success) how to pass two values to a single getopts argument ... for example ./script -a Tuesday sausagesThe $OPTARG variable seems to only get populated with the first argument. What im looking to do is to process the first argument (i.e.make... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing trailing space with single quote

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I want to end each line of this file with a single quote. $ cat hello.txt blueskies minnie mickey gravity snoopyAt VI editor's command mode, I have used the following command to replace the last character with a single quote. ~ ~ ~ :%s/$/'/gNow, the lines in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing double spaces with single space

I am looking for a regular expression that uses sed to replace multiple spaces with single spaces on every line where it is not at the start of the line and not immediately before double slashes ('//') or between quotes ("). In its simplest form, it would look like this: sed -e 's# # #g'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts - space in argument (OPTARG)

Hi, I want to capture space as well from the argument eg: script.ksh -m "Message from xyz" -e "email@xyz.com" script.ksh -m 'Message from xyz' -e 'email@xyz.com' I am parsing using getopts, but for option "m" OPTARG is returning only "Message". Please use code tags next time for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple value in a single argument in Perl.

Hi all, I have below code through which trying to pick data from specific columns strating from a certain row. #!/usr/bin/perl #This script is to pick the specific fields from a files starting from a specific row # FILE -> Name of the file to be pasd at runtime. # rn -> Number of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhisrajput
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Multiple spaces with a single space but excluding few regular expressions

Hi All. Attached are two files. I ran a query and have the output as in the file with name "FILEWITHFOURRECORDS.txt " I didn't want all the spaces between the columns so I squeezed the spaces with the "tr" command and also added a carriage return at the end of every line. But in two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script.

Below is my script that works fine and prints the desired output: #!/bin/ksh echo "$1" | while IFS= read -r dirpath do echo "DIRR_PATH:$dirpath" install_dir=$install_dir" "$dirpath done echo "Desired Output:$install_dir" Output: ./loopissue.sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys(3)					   XKB FUNCTIONS					 XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys(3)

NAME
XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys - Free keys in an overlay row SYNOPSIS
void XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys ( row, first, count, free_all ) XkbRowPtr row; int first; int count; Bool free_all; ARGUMENTS
- row row in which keys should be freed - first first key to be freed - count number of keys to be freed - free_all True => all keys are freed DESCRIPTION
Xkb provides a number of functions to allocate and free subcomponents of a keyboard geometry. Use these functions to create or modify key- board geometries. Note that these functions merely allocate space for the new element(s), and it is up to you to fill in the values explicitly in your code. These allocation functions increase sz_* but never touch num_* (unless there is an allocation failure, in which case they reset both sz_* and num_* to zero). These functions return Success if they succeed, BadAlloc if they are not able to allocate space, or BadValue if a parameter is not as expected. If free_all is True, all keys are freed regardless of the value of first and count. Otherwise, the number of keys specified by count are freed, beginning with the key specified by first in the specified row. RETURN VALUES
Success The XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys function returns Success if there are no allocation or argument errors. DIAGNOSTICS
BadAlloc Unable to allocate storage BadValue An argument is out of range X Version 11 libX11 1.2.1 XkbFreeGeomOverlayKeys(3)