Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: slice & partition???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers slice & partition??? Post 302115118 by XNOR on Saturday 21st of April 2007 03:55:23 PM
Old 04-21-2007
c0d0s1 terminology

Hello,
I've a Solaris10 which is installed on 1 disk drive and can understand the structure. c0d0s0 / c0d0s7 terminology.

I've an assumption for a different structure...
Let's suppose that I've 10 disks and grouped as RAID5.

Additionally I want to add 4 more disks as RAID5 to store my new Oracle database and some other files. I mean that I want to divide my new RAID5 logical drive to 2 slices.

How does Solaris name to my disks and logical structure?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating /boot partition & MBR concerns

I have 40GB HD with mepis8, swap, MBR and under flags word boot. I also have a 160 GB external with a few Linux OS, no swaps, no extended etc. I am total Linux no MS I would feel more secure by resizing that sda1 partition and creating a /boot partition with the MBR housed there. Is that a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enhanced partition copy script (new & improved!)

This is now a larger script than I would customarily post. But many folks have become accustom to getting it off this forum. Every couple of years I update my favorite scripts. This script is one that I use regularly and have posted older versions every couple of years. I noticed that it has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI)

Hi all, I am using SPARC Solaris 11.1 with EFI labelled disks. I am new to ZFS file systems and slightly stuck when trying to create a partition (slice) on one of my LUNs. EFI labels use sectors and blocks and I am not sure how exactly it works. From here I can try and create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selectstar
2 Replies

10. BSD

Find Partition/Slice UUID

I thought I had figured this out at one point, but I can't remember. Is there a way/command to get the UUIDs of a disk's partitions/slices in FreeBSD? Linux has the blkid command, which doesn't seem to be available. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
metareplace(1M)                                           System Administration Commands                                           metareplace(1M)

NAME
metareplace - enable or replace components of submirrors or RAID5 metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metareplace -h /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e mirror component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] mirror component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e RAID component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] [-f] RAID component-old component-new DESCRIPTION
The metareplace command is used to enable or replace components (slices) within a submirror or a RAID5 metadevice. When you replace a component, the metareplace command automatically starts resyncing the new component with the rest of the metadevice. When the resync completes, the replaced component becomes readable and writable. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replacements. Note that the new component must be large enough to replace the old component. A component may be in one of several states. The Last Erred and the Maintenance states require action. Always replace components in the Maintenance state first, followed by a resync and validation of data. After components requiring maintenance are fixed, validated, and resynced, components in the Last Erred state should be replaced. To avoid data loss, it is always best to back up all data before replacing Last Erred devices. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -e Transitions the state of component to the available state and resyncs the failed component. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replace- ments. This command is useful when a component fails due to human error (for example, accidentally turning off a disk), or because the component was physically replaced. In this case, the replacement component must be partitioned to match the disk being replaced before running the metareplace command. -f Forces the replacement of an errored component of a metadevice in which multiple components are in error. The component determined by the metastat display to be in the ``Maintenance'' state must be replaced first. This option may cause data to be fabricated since multiple components are in error. -h Display help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metareplace will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on local metadevices. mirror The metadevice name of the mirror. component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. component-old The physical slice that is being replaced. component-new The physical slice that is replacing component-old. RAID The metadevice name of the RAID5 device. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Recovering from Error Condition in RAID5 Metadevice This example shows how to recover when a single component in a RAID5 metadevice is errored. # metareplace d10 c3t0d0s2 c5t0d0s2 In this example, a RAID5 metadevice d10 has an errored component, c3t0d0s2, replaced by a new component, c5t0d0s2. Example 2: Use of -e After Physical Disk Replacement This example shows the use of the -e option after a physical disk in a submirror (a submirror of mirror d11, in this case) has been replaced. # metareplace -e d11 c1t4d0s2 Note: The replacement disk must be partitioned to match the disk it is replacing before running the metareplace command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metareplace(1M)