Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: slice & partition???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers slice & partition??? Post 302115113 by Perderabo on Saturday 21st of April 2007 03:06:44 PM
Old 04-21-2007
On a Sparc, a disk is divided into slices and the term "partition" is not used. On a PC, a disk is cut into "partitions" so this is the fundamental division of a disk. You often have multiple OS's on a PC with each getting its own partition. Solaris will take its partition and again divide it into slices. On either a Sparc or a PC, a slice is what gets mounted. (This assumes no volume manager is in use.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating /boot partition & MBR concerns

I have 40GB HD with mepis8, swap, MBR and under flags word boot. I also have a 160 GB external with a few Linux OS, no swaps, no extended etc. I am total Linux no MS I would feel more secure by resizing that sda1 partition and creating a /boot partition with the MBR housed there. Is that a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enhanced partition copy script (new & improved!)

This is now a larger script than I would customarily post. But many folks have become accustom to getting it off this forum. Every couple of years I update my favorite scripts. This script is one that I use regularly and have posted older versions every couple of years. I noticed that it has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI)

Hi all, I am using SPARC Solaris 11.1 with EFI labelled disks. I am new to ZFS file systems and slightly stuck when trying to create a partition (slice) on one of my LUNs. EFI labels use sectors and blocks and I am not sure how exactly it works. From here I can try and create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selectstar
2 Replies

10. BSD

Find Partition/Slice UUID

I thought I had figured this out at one point, but I can't remember. Is there a way/command to get the UUIDs of a disk's partitions/slices in FreeBSD? Linux has the blkid command, which doesn't seem to be available. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-l] [--type TYPE] [--nr M-N] [partition] disk DESCRIPTION
Given a block device ( disk ) and a partition table type , try to parse the partition table, and list the contents. Optionally add or remove partitions. This is not an fdisk - adding and removing partitions is not a change of the disk, but just telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a add specified partitions or read disk and add all partitions -d delete specified or all partitions -l list partitions. Note that the all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. --type TYPE Specify the partition type -- dos, bsd, solaris, unixware or gpt. --nr M-N Specify the range of partitions (e.g --nr 2-4). SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 11 Jan 2007 PARTX(8)