Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password Post 302114987 by D.kalpana on Friday 20th of April 2007 01:24:21 AM
Old 04-20-2007
Question Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked.

Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I store required passwords in a file and then use that file for password prompt whenever SSH is established?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Updating a csv file held on a unix box with excel running on windows

Hi, my question is quite simple: Can I update a csv file which is held on a unix box (and which a script on the same box uses) with Microsoft Excel running in a windows environment? Or, is there a free spreadsheet package available to run in unix that will update my csv file. I know it's easy to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sn33R
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VPN client (windows Box),and Server (Unix Box)

If I want to access unix box via VPN tunnel,from windows box. What sould I configure on the windows client PC, and what should I enable on the Unix Server box ? I am using Solaris V10 intel platform, and I am using windows XP, and 2003 for client (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zillah
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to FTP a file generated at UNIX Box to NT Box

Hi all, I am generating a file on the Unix machine , now i want to FTP the same file to the NT machine. how can i do that and the application currently upon which i am working is a JAVA based application. I need your help. regards Ruchir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruchir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPing from unix box to windows box.

Hi All, I need to know if it is possible ftping files from unix box to windows box . if yes , how ?. Is there any pre-requisits. Please tell me the steps, this is very urgent. Thnx Aru (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from Unix box to a windows box

Hi All, I need a little help .I want to transfer a file from unix box to a windows box,but the problem i'm facing is that in windows box FTP is not enabled and currently it is nearly impssible to change setting on windows box,i can not use the ftp method ,in my shell script to transfer the file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preet
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need an scp command from a unix box to a windows box.

scp file="myfile.txt" todir="user@somehost:(M:drive:/somepath/)"/ Not sure I need it to go to a specific drive on the windows box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xgringo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare all files in one unix box has been to copied to another unix box

Hi our unix admin has copied all files from one unix box to new unix box. We just need to confirm that all the file systems are copied properly. How to validate. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddym
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp file starting with particular name on Windows box to Unix box using shell script

Hello all ! I'm trying to write a shell script (bash) to ftp a file starting with particular name like "Latest_" that is present on a Windows box to UNIX server. Basically I want to set this script in the cron so that daily the new build that is posted on the Windows box can be downloaded to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayb4u83
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transferring the file from one UNIX box to another UNIX box

Hi Folks, I am using winscp to graphiclly move the files from one unix box to another unix box , let say one unix box crediantials is (These are dummy crediantials) xxx -->username yyy -->password and another unix box name is RRR -->username TTT -->password NOW i need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
PAM_SSH(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						PAM_SSH(8)

NAME
pam_ssh -- authentication and session management with SSH private keys SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_ssh [options] DESCRIPTION
The SSH authentication service module for PAM provides functionality for two PAM categories: authentication and session management. In terms of the module-type parameter, they are the ``auth'' and ``session'' features. SSH Authentication Module The SSH authentication component provides a function to verify the identity of a user (pam_sm_authenticate()), by prompting the user for a passphrase and verifying that it can decrypt the target user's SSH key using that passphrase. The following options may be passed to the authentication module: use_first_pass If the authentication module is not the first in the stack, and a previous module obtained the user's password, that password is used to authenticate the user. If this fails, the authentication module returns failure without prompting the user for a password. This option has no effect if the authentication module is the first in the stack, or if no previous modules obtained the user's password. try_first_pass This option is similar to the use_first_pass option, except that if the previously obtained password fails, the user is prompted for another password. nullok Normally, keys with no passphrase are ignored for authentication purposes. If this option is set, keys with no passphrase will be taken into consideration, allowing the user to log in with a blank password. SSH Session Management Module The SSH session management component provides functions to initiate (pam_sm_open_session()) and terminate (pam_sm_close_session()) sessions. The pam_sm_open_session() function starts an SSH agent, passing it any private keys it decrypted during the authentication phase, and sets the environment variables the agent specifies. The pam_sm_close_session() function kills the previously started SSH agent by sending it a SIGTERM. The following options may be passed to the session management module: want_agent Start an agent even if no keys were decrypted during the authentication phase. FILES
$HOME/.ssh/identity SSH1 RSA key $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa SSH2 RSA key $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa SSH2 DSA key $HOME/.ssh/id_ecdsa SSH2 ECDSA key SEE ALSO
ssh-agent(1), pam.conf(5), pam(8) AUTHORS
The pam_ssh module was originally written by Andrew J. Korty <ajk@iu.edu>. The current implementation was developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and NAI Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. This manual page was written by Mark R V Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org>. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
The pam_ssh module implements what is fundamentally a password authentication scheme. Care should be taken to only use this module over a secure session (secure TTY, encrypted session, etc.), otherwise the user's SSH passphrase could be compromised. Additional consideration should be given to the use of pam_ssh. Users often assume that file permissions are sufficient to protect their SSH keys, and thus use weak or no passphrases. Since the system administrator has no effective means of enforcing SSH passphrase quality, this has the potential to expose the system to security risks. BSD
December 16, 2011 BSD