Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting Filename from Fullpath Post 302114936 by cfajohnson on Thursday 19th of April 2007 01:36:40 PM
Old 04-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoshi
Hi,
Any help on this would be very appreciated.

I capture the full path & filename in a variable like (varFile=/home/user/extfile.txt). Now in my shell script I have to use only the filename part i.e. extfile.txt. How do I extract only the filename part from the variable?

Use shell parameter expansion:

Code:
filename=${varFile##*/}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting only the filename without its extenstion

Hi, I have a requirement that i need to store only the filename without its extension. Can anyone please help me to do this. For Example, i have stored the filename in a varialble called fname. I need to extract all the charecters before the first occurence of the dot. If fname has value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotus123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing filesnames in bare format with fullpath

Hi, Need help. How can I get a listing of files in bare format with full path. I mean in the following format. /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file2 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file2 /root/dir2/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir2/sub-dir2/file1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzcat into awk and then change FILENAME and process new FILENAME

I am trying to write a script that prompts users for date and time, then process the gzip file into awk. During the ksh part of the script another file is created and needs to be processed with a different set of pattern matches then I need to combine the two in the end. I'm stuck at the part... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the Filename

Hi, I need to extract the file name without filetype. Suppose in DIR1 if i have files like F1.txt and F2.DOC then i need to return F1 and F2 only with out file types (txt and DOC). I tried with the following code newname = ` $i | cut -d "'." -f1` but it is giving the error " 0403-006... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raamc
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting date from a filename

Hi, I am a beginner in Unix so please bear with me... I have a directory which has files in format: RECF-YYYY-MM-DD-input. For example, RECF-2008-02-25-input. I need to extract the YYYYY-MM-DD substring from this filename and convert that into date and compare it with a date. How do I do that?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get filename from the fullpath and how to grep multiple strings

Hi, New to shell scripting.... I have log file content as below: I have to count the number of occurences of ERROR or INFO Messages. So, I cut 5 th column and uniquly sorted and redirected it to new.txt file. But I want copy to S*/Filename and T*/Filename of respective ERROR or INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting multiple variables from a filename.

hi all, I'm trying to automate some tasks and while I've got the script itself working, I'm having difficulties with automatic file detection and associated variable setting... for example, in a directory I've got several files... something along the lines of: xis0_NAME_src.file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u5j84
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of the filename

Hi I would like to extract the first portion of filename from a list of files. The filename pattern is of the form 123456789_TEXT_TEXT_TEXT_.csv. I want to extract just the numerical portion of this filename from the list of files and then output this into another text file. K (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting filename

I am using bash and have a filename with a path and extension and want to extract just the filename Have used the following code, oflna gives the file name with extension, but now neet to remove the .texi at the end. oflna=${flnm##*/} oflnb=${${flnm##*/}%.*} echo "flnm: $flnm" echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Danette
1 Replies
File::Basename(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       File::Basename(3pm)

NAME
File::Basename - Parse file paths into directory, filename and suffix. SYNOPSIS
use File::Basename; ($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $name = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $basename = basename($fullname,@suffixlist); $dirname = dirname($fullname); DESCRIPTION
These routines allow you to parse file paths into their directory, filename and suffix. NOTE: "dirname()" and "basename()" emulate the behaviours, and quirks, of the shell and C functions of the same name. See each function's documentation for details. If your concern is just parsing paths it is safer to use File::Spec's "splitpath()" and "splitdir()" methods. It is guaranteed that # Where $path_separator is / for Unix, for Windows, etc... dirname($path) . $path_separator . basename($path); is equivalent to the original path for all systems but VMS. "fileparse" my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path); my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path, @suffixes); my $filename = fileparse($path, @suffixes); The "fileparse()" routine divides a file path into its $directories, $filename and (optionally) the filename $suffix. $directories contains everything up to and including the last directory separator in the $path including the volume (if applicable). The remainder of the $path is the $filename. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz"); # On Windows returns ("baz", 'C:fooar', "") fileparse('C:fooaraz'); # On Unix returns ("", "/foo/bar/baz/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz/"); If @suffixes are given each element is a pattern (either a string or a "qr//") matched against the end of the $filename. The matching portion is removed and becomes the $suffix. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", ".txt") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/.[^.]*/); If type is non-Unix (see "fileparse_set_fstype") then the pattern matching for suffix removal is performed case-insensitively, since those systems are not case-sensitive when opening existing files. You are guaranteed that "$directories . $filename . $suffix" will denote the same location as the original $path. "basename" my $filename = basename($path); my $filename = basename($path, @suffixes); This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command basename(1). It does NOT always return the file name portion of a path as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the file name portion of a path use "fileparse()". "basename()" returns the last level of a filepath even if the last level is clearly directory. In effect, it is acting like "pop()" for paths. This differs from "fileparse()"'s behaviour. # Both return "bar" basename("/foo/bar"); basename("/foo/bar/"); @suffixes work as in "fileparse()" except all regex metacharacters are quoted. # These two function calls are equivalent. my $filename = basename("/foo/bar/baz.txt", ".txt"); my $filename = fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/Q.txtE/); Also note that in order to be compatible with the shell command, "basename()" does not strip off a suffix if it is identical to the remaining characters in the filename. "dirname" This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command dirname(1) and has inherited some of its quirks. In spite of its name it does NOT always return the directory name as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the directory name of a path use "fileparse()". Only on VMS (where there is no ambiguity between the file and directory portions of a path) and AmigaOS (possibly due to an implementation quirk in this module) does "dirname()" work like "fileparse($path)", returning just the $directories. # On VMS and AmigaOS my $directories = dirname($path); When using Unix or MSDOS syntax this emulates the dirname(1) shell function which is subtly different from how "fileparse()" works. It returns all but the last level of a file path even if the last level is clearly a directory. In effect, it is not returning the directory portion but simply the path one level up acting like "chop()" for file paths. Also unlike "fileparse()", "dirname()" does not include a trailing slash on its returned path. # returns /foo/bar. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz"); # also returns /foo/bar despite the fact that baz is clearly a # directory. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/baz/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz/"); # returns '.'. fileparse() would return 'foo/' dirname("foo/"); Under VMS, if there is no directory information in the $path, then the current default device and directory is used. "fileparse_set_fstype" my $type = fileparse_set_fstype(); my $previous_type = fileparse_set_fstype($type); Normally File::Basename will assume a file path type native to your current operating system (ie. /foo/bar style on Unix, fooar on Windows, etc...). With this function you can override that assumption. Valid $types are "MacOS", "VMS", "AmigaOS", "OS2", "RISCOS", "MSWin32", "DOS" (also "MSDOS" for backwards bug compatibility), "Epoc" and "Unix" (all case-insensitive). If an unrecognized $type is given "Unix" will be assumed. If you've selected VMS syntax, and the file specification you pass to one of these routines contains a "/", they assume you are using Unix emulation and apply the Unix syntax rules instead, for that function call only. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), File::Spec perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 File::Basename(3pm)