Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tar: write error: unexpected EOF Post 302114871 by Perderabo on Thursday 19th of April 2007 03:27:13 AM
Old 04-19-2007
Oh. That c in the device name of the tape drive requests hardware compression. Some tape drives have compession built-in and this is how you use it. But most tape drives do not have this type of comression.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: write error unexpected end of file

Hi, I have attempted to backup some database files on my company's Solaris machine about 3 times now. Each time that I attempt the backup, about 6 files are evident on the dat tape when I do read of the media and then I see the dreaded "tar: write error unexpected EOF" message. Each time that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robyn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: write error: unexpected EOF

I am taring to disk and get this message: tar: write error: unexpected EOF This message is normally associated with tape devices, not disk. Here is the syntax: tar -cf <tarfilename> /dir Have you seen this message on disk tars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabe
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected eof error

Hi, I am newbie and am just trying to connect to oracle from shell script ,,,but I am getting the following error ./prog.sh: line 20: syntax error: unexpected end of file The scripts is : #!/bin/bash O=$IFS; IFS=","; while read a b c d do echo $c ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar:read error: unexpected EOF

I need archive data from some tar files. I use the command "tar xvf filename". For about half of the files I get the error message "tar:read error: unexpected EOF". The number of bytes extracted comes very close to the size of the tar file. An example: 972434779 Jan 10 01:01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikeruth
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: write error: unexpected EOF

tar: write error: unexpected EOF I usually encounter this when I'm doing backup to Dat72 tape. Here's the command gzip all files in a directory then tar cvfp /dev/rmt/0n files. Not all files are copied. Any things I should look at? Directory size? ---------- Post updated at 05:20 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

EOF Usage - line 56: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Below is a test script I'm writing in the process of learning to write script. When I try to run it I get an unexpected end of file error on line 56. Thoughts? SCRIPT: #!/bin/bash # system_page - A script to produce a system information HTML file ##### Constants TITLE="My System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpercy725
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp/untar in parallel issue tar : Unexpected EOF in archive

Hi Guys, I am facing a strange issue while doing parallel (using & for background) scp/untar operation from my unix box to multiple unix boxes... I am getting tar : unexpected EOF in archive error the code is as follows.,,, for i in 10 do sh -c "scp <command> ; ssh tar -xf <tar> -C... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

eof unexpected while looking[...]

Hello I use opensuse build service to build packages (oh surprise !) I have integrate a command in a spec whose worked and now this exit with: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' Command: if \.").mk ]; then ln -s $(pwd)/mozilla/security/coreconf/Linux2.6.mk \ ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: posophe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to resolve unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' error

Hi, can someone kindly look into my copy script and figure out why am i getting a "unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' error message #!/bin/ksh -x cd /home/goldenga/test/flag37 if ; then rm copied.ok cd /home/goldenga/test Upper=`ls -t|grep 'qw*'|cut -d "w" -f 2|head... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDalal007
4 Replies

10. SCO

"Unexpected EOF within #IF, #ifdef or #ifndef" error when rebuilding / relinking SCO OpenServer 5

Hi, I am a new Unix Guru with very little experience but have the task of P2Ving an old HP Proliant ML370 G5 server to VMware ESX 4.1 or ESXi 5.5. System seems to boots fine but when trying to remove HP software, configure TCP/IP or a driver, I am receiving: -------- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_Italian
7 Replies
TAPEINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TAPEINFO(1)

NAME
tapeinfo - report SCSI tape device info SYNOPSIS
tapeinfo -f <scsi-generic-device> DESCRIPTION
The tapeinfo command reads various information from SCSI tape drives that is not generally available via most vendors' tape drivers. It issues raw commands directly to the tape drive, using either the operating system's SCSI generic device ( e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux, /dev/pass0 on FreeBSD) or the raw SCSI I/O ioctl on a tape device on some operating systems. One good time to use 'tapeinfo' is immediately after a tape i/o operation has failed. On tape drives that support HP's 'tapealert' API, 'tapeinfo' will report a more exact description of what went wrong. Do be aware that 'tapeinfo' is not a substitute for your operating system's own 'mt' or similar tape driver control program. It is intended to supplement, not replace, programs like 'mt' that access your operating system's tape driver in order to report or set information. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally start at /dev/sg0 under FreeBSD these start at /dev/pass0). Under FreeBSD, 'camcontrol devlist' will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which 'pass' device controls them. Under Linux, "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will tell you what SCSI devices you have. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
This program has only been tested on Linux with a limited number of tape drives (HP DDS4, Seagate AIT). AVAILABILITY
tapeinfo is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://source- forge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
mt(1),mtx(1),scsitape(1),scsieject(1),loaderinfo(1) TAPEINFO1.0 TAPEINFO(1)