Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simulate 'try again' case
Special Forums IP Networking Simulate 'try again' case Post 302114863 by srinivasan_85 on Thursday 19th of April 2007 02:10:58 AM
Old 04-19-2007
More clarifications

Ah, I'm usually bad at explaining things. Sorry, but I'll give another try.
The actual need for me is to make the nameserver (dns_server) return 'Host not found, try again', irrespective of the IP queried for.
I understand that dns queries undergo multiple hops before they reach the final server. I want to accomplish 'try again' return value in the first hop itself. I currently am aware of 2 possibilities to do this. But I want a third way to do it, because I have some other problem testing my code with the first two possibilities.

Possibility 1: Change the resolv.conf to point to invalid nameserver
Possibility 2: Terminate the local nameserver, or change the local dns_server code to return 'try again' irrespective of the query

PS: I'm an email developer and am not attempting DoS even in its mildest way.

Thanks,
Srini

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Simulate Storage

Hello, I wanted to simulate SAN on my VMware PLayer running RHEL. Is there any tool that can be used to simulate storage setup for learning/testing? THanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikn3
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
RESOLV.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    RESOLV.CONF(5)

NAME
resolv.conf -- resolver configuration file DESCRIPTION
The resolv.conf file specifies how the resolver(3) routines in the C library (which provide access to the Internet Domain Name System) should operate. The resolver configuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process. The file is designed to be human readable and contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver infor- mation. On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The only name server to be queried will be on the local machine, the domain name is determined from the host name, and the domain search path is constructed from the domain name. The different configuration options are: nameserver IPv4 address (in dot notation) or IPv6 address (in hex-and-colon notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. Scoped IPv6 address notation is accepted as well (see inet6(4) for details). Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. If no nameserver entries are present, the default is to use the name server on the local machine. (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum num- ber of retries are made). domain Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(3); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first '.'. Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed. lookup This keyword is now ignored: its function has been superseded by features of nsswitch.conf(5). search Search list for host-name lookup. The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it begins with the local domain name, then successive parent domains that have at least two components in their names. This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search keyword with spaces or tabs separating the names. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total of 1024 characters. sortlist Sortlist allows addresses returned by gethostbyname to be sorted. A sortlist is specified by IP address netmask pairs. The net- mask is optional and defaults to the natural netmask of the net. The IP address and optional network pairs are separated by slashes. Up to 10 pairs may be specified, ie. sortlist 130.155.160.0/255.255.240.0 130.155.0.0 options Options allows certain internal resolver variables to be modified. The syntax is: options option ... where option is one of the following: debug enable debugging information, by setting RES_DEBUG in _res.options (see resolver(3)). edns0 attach OPT pseudo-RR for ENDS0 extension specified in RFC 2671, to inform DNS server of our receive buffer size. The option will allow DNS servers to take advantage of non-default receive buffer size, and to send larger replies. DNS query packets with EDNS0 extension is not compatible with non-EDNS0 DNS servers. The option must be used only when all the DNS servers listed in nameserver lines are able to handle EDNS0 extension. inet6 enable support for IPv6-only applications, by setting RES_USE_INET6 in _res.options (see resolver(3)). The option is meaningful with certain kernel configuration only and use of this option is discouraged. insecure1 Do not require IP source address on the reply packet to be equal to the servers' address. insecure2 Do not check if the query section of the reply packet is equal to that of the query packet. For testing purposes only. ndots:n sets a threshold for the number of dots which must appear in a name given to res_query (see resolver(3)) before an initial absolute query will be made. The default for n is 1, meaning that if there are any dots in a name, the name will be tried first as an absolute name before any search list elements are appended to it. The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive. If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance will over- ride. The search keyword of a system's resolv.conf file can be overridden on a per-process basis by setting the environment variable LOCALDOMAIN to a space-separated list of search domains. The options keyword of a system's resolv.conf file can be amended on a per-process basis by setting the environment variable RES_OPTIONS to a space-separated list of resolver options as explained above. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword (e.g. nameserver) must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf The file resolv.conf resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(3), nsswitch.conf(5), hostname(7), named(8), resolvconf(8) Paul Vixie, Kevin J. Dunlap, and Michael J. Karels, Name Server Operations Guide for BIND, CSRG, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, Release 4.9.4, http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/docs/bog/bog.html, July 16, 1996. HISTORY
The resolv.conf file format appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
August 21, 2010 BSD