Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help with this background wget process. Post 302114141 by reborg on Thursday 12th of April 2007 06:31:06 PM
Old 04-12-2007
Quick and dirty....

Put the command in a script that runs 5 times at 10 second intervals without going to the backgroup, then run the script every minute from cron worst case you go for a minute without updates.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Programming

background process

I have made a shell that accept a command and parameters. It is working properly. I have tryed to implement background process in main(). But i dont know to implement them. Can anyone give me a lille example?? #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> /* The following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badshah
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cause a process to be in background

Hi My script - main.sh, execute program1.sh in background and program2.sh in foreground . program1.sh holds the process ID of program2. program1.sh after a while needs to move the process of program2.sh to background. How? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background process

How, can I hide background process's output? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hello, This has probably been answered in other forms, however I would like to confirm this statement before I use it in production. Will this syntax work for a background process? echo "nohup server_process1 >/dir1/nohup.server_process1 2>&1 &" | ksh Please advise. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep process running (wget) and logout

well, i have only been learning about linux, unix and shells for a few days. For my online game to work, i need run a file each 10 seconds. Running that file will update mysql data, causing my online game to "tick". This adds resources and fights battles in game. I know that i need to use a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey1090
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding apache process id that is spawned by a wget

Hi, I have a situation where I am writing a programme that runs a series of long running PHP scripts that can take anything from 20 minutes to 10 hours to execute. I have a solution half implemented where I use via php exec(wget <location to command>) and get the process id back. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrploddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
auth/cron [-c] DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to instructions in the files /cron/user/cron. It runs only on an authentica- tion server. Option -c causes cron to create /cron/user and /cron/user/cron for the current user; it can be run from any Plan 9 machine. Blank lines and lines beginning with # in these files are ignored. Entries are lines with fields minute hour day month weekday host command Command is a string, which may contain spaces, that is passed to an rc(1) running on host for execution. The first five fields are integer patterns for minute 0-59 hour 0-23 day of month 1-31 month of year 1-12 day of week 0-6; 0=Sunday The syntax for these patterns is time : '*' | range range : number | number '-' number | range ',' range Each number must be in the appropriate range. Hyphens specify inclusive ranges of valid times; commas specify lists of valid time ranges. To run the job, cron calls host and authenticates remote execution, equivalent to running rx host command (see con(1)). The user's profile is run with $service set to rx. Cron is not a reliable service. It skips commands if it cannot reach host within two minutes, or if the cron daemon is not running at the appropriate time. EXAMPLES
Here is the job that mails system news. % cat /cron/upas/cron # send system news 15 8-17, 21 *** helix /mail/lib/mailnews % SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/auth/cron.c SEE ALSO
con(1), rc(1) CRON(8)