Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting current running process in shell Post 302113987 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 11th of April 2007 11:15:04 PM
Old 04-12-2007
information about process is from ps

man ps

would have all the detailed information with options and the notations / symbols used by ps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a current running process ignore SIGHUP signal?

I ask this question since sometimes i run a time-consuming ftp in foreground and forget to use nohup ftp.sh & to put this work background and can still running after i log off. Assume this ftp task have run 1 hour, and still 1 hour time to end, i don't want to abort the ftp, first, i use ctrl+Z... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensxiao
3 Replies

2. Programming

to find current running process

Hi All, The scenario is like this: There is a process say "A" which create a child process say "B" if some condition is true and process "A" terminates. "B" invokes some C program say "C" using 'execl' function. The job of program "C" is to keep polling the server until the server will be up.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjkuma692
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for specific process running through shell

Hi I want to check whether specific process is running or not through a shell script. ps -ef | grep will tell me this, i tried this way in shell cnt =`ps -ef| grep xyz | awk '{ END {print NR}}` if it return two rows, job is running else not. Is there any better way of doing this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agp
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current Process Running.

Hi all, When I issued command ps -ef|grep Vinay in a UNIX machine, I got the following Vinay 22491 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294248:53 -sh Vinay 26628 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294237:33 -sh Could you tell me what all process is running ? Please explain each of the fields. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Built-ins in current shell

Hi, Can any one please describe why I am not able to run any built-in commands in current shell? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display current directory for a running process for script

I'm trying to create a ksh script to do the following: 1) Ask the user what process they want to search for. 2) Have the script read the input as a variable and use it to search for the process. 3) Display the current time & date, the working directory of the process, and finally display the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to know all the Current running process and how to kill

All, 1.What is the unix comand used for all current running process (Including All current running processes Parent ->child->subchild process) 2.If child and subchild processes are running then what is the unix command to kill parent and its all child subchild processes in UNIX. Kindly... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List Process running under current user

Hi, i need to list the processes running only under current logged in user. EX: $ whoami oraaqw $ ps -ef | grep tnslsnr oraaqw 11403300 19267592 0 09:14:47 pts/3 0:00 grep tnslsnr oraaqw 15794208 1 0 Jan 14 - 11:59... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating variables in a running shell process

Hi I was hoping some one might be able to help me with my problem. I am trying to write a script that will help organize our print server by identifying when a new file has arrived and deleting the older version. I have most of the code written that I need although I still have one small... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
2 Replies
GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)

NAME
get_kernel_syms - retrieve exported kernel and module symbols SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/module.h> int get_kernel_syms(struct kernel_sym *table); DESCRIPTION
Note: This system call is present only in kernels before Linux 2.6. If table is NULL, get_kernel_syms() returns the number of symbols available for query. Otherwise it fills in a table of structures: struct kernel_sym { unsigned long value; char name[60]; }; The symbols are interspersed with magic symbols of the form #module-name with the kernel having an empty name. The value associated with a symbol of this form is the address at which the module is loaded. The symbols exported from each module follow their magic module tag and the modules are returned in the reverse of the order in which they were loaded. RETURN VALUE
On success, returns the number of symbols copied to table. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
There is only one possible error return: ENOSYS get_kernel_syms() is not supported in this version of the kernel. VERSIONS
This system call is present on Linux only up until kernel 2.4; it was removed in Linux 2.6. CONFORMING TO
get_kernel_syms() is Linux-specific. BUGS
There is no way to indicate the size of the buffer allocated for table. If symbols have been added to the kernel since the program queried for the symbol table size, memory will be corrupted. The length of exported symbol names is limited to 59 characters. Because of these limitations, this system call is deprecated in favor of query_module(2) (which is itself nowadays deprecated in favor of other interfaces described on its manual page). SEE ALSO
create_module(2), delete_module(2), init_module(2), query_module(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-10-18 GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)