Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array help (variable substitution). Post 302113964 by dsimpg1 on Wednesday 11th of April 2007 04:04:46 PM
Old 04-11-2007
No, I'm trying to do this:

cmlist01 has a b c d e
cmlist02 has f g h i
cmlist03 has j k l

For the total in cmlist01, I should see 5 items.
For the total in cmlist02, I should see 4 items.
For the total in cmlist03, I should see 3 items.

As a result, I could do:

print "There are ${#cmlist01[@]} items in $listnbr:"
which prints "There are 5 itmes in cmlist01."

However, I want to do all of this in a for loop and have it derive the cmlistnn from the variable $listnbr (which is does just fine as evidenced in the output from the print statement). However, if I try to get the count (number of items in the array) using listnbr (instead of hardcoding cmlistnn in each statement), all I ever get is 1.

If I set the variable listnbr=cmlist01, I should see 5 items, but am only seeing 1 when I do:

print "There are ${#listnbr[@]} items in $listnbr:"
which prints "There are 1 itmes in cmlist01."

The main part of the code that I need this for is:

Code:
while [ $i -lt ${#cmlist03[@]} ]
     do
          ID=${cmlist03[$i]}
          echo "Processing $i with ${cmlist03[$i]}"

Maybe you just can't do what I'm trying to do...

Last edited by dsimpg1; 04-11-2007 at 05:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitution in a variable

Hey All, I'm trying to clean up a variable using sed but It dosn't seem to work. I'm trying to find all the spaces and replace them with "\ " (a slash and a space). For Example "Hello World" should become "Hello\ World". But it does nothing. If I put it directly into the command line it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spragueg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky array substitution in functions

Hello, Please tell me if there is a better way to get the number of elements from an array that is passed to a function. This is what works on Solaris 8 (ksh) but it looks odd: loop_array() { array_name=$2 b1='\${\#' b2='}' nr_elements=`eval echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array reference - bad substitution

I've created a series of arrays named as follows: row1 row2 row3 . . . row10 Each has 4 elements. I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have: for ((i=1;i<=10;i++)) do for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) do eval out=${row`echo $i`} echo -n $out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swankgd
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution

file1.ksh #!/bin/ksh test5_create="I am a man" # test5 will be dynamic and the value will be passed from command line a=${1}_create echo $a # i need the output as "I am a man" ./file1.ksh test5 # i run the script like this any suggessions guys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution in a file dont work with an Array in filename

Hi. I´ve a script that should substitude the 8th line in a file called xxx.num6. The "xxx" is set by an array filled with this command: j=0 for Par in *.sys ; do Par=`echo $Par | sed 's/\(.*\).sys/\1/'` ; Par2="$Par" ; echo "${Par2}" j=$((j + 1)); done Now i try... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lock3
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution

Hi, I have to write a shell script in which I have to substitute a variable within a variable. For example, var1=aaa var2=file.$var1.txt The output should be, echo $var2 file.aaa.txt Can someone please help me in getting this. I tried using eval, but it didnt work. I might be using it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution in array printing

Hi folks, A really dumb question as I've wasted far too long trying to get this to work.... (on RH bash) I have an array: m0='<hello>' m0='<there>' m0='<fred>' v0='<goodbye>' v0='<again>' v0='<john>' in my code I calculate the value of the variable to output and if I echo it, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with array substitution

Hello all, I have following piece of code which is working fine if executed standalone - date=$1 set -A max_month 0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31 eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100 )) (( year400=year%400 ))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
7 Replies
XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected(library call)							     XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected(library call)

NAME
XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected -- A List function that replaces items in a list without selecting the replacement items SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/List.h> void XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected( Widget widget, XmString *new_items, int item_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected replaces the specified number of items in the list with new items, starting at the given position. The replacement items remain unselected, even if they currently appear in the XmNselectedItems list. widget Specifies the ID of the List widget to replace items in. new_items Specifies a pointer to the replacement items. item_count Specifies the number of elements in new_items and the number of items in the list to replace. This number must be nonnegative. position Specifies the position of the first item in the list to be replaced. A value of 1 indicates that the first item replaced is the first item in the list; a value of 2 indicates that it is the second item; and so on. Beginning with the item specified in position, item_count items in the list are replaced with the corresponding elements from new_items. That is, the item at position is replaced with the first element of new_items; the item after position is replaced with the second element of new_items; and so on, until item_count is reached. For a complete definition of List and its associated resources, see XmList(3). RELATED
XmList(3). XmListReplaceItemsPosUnselected(library call)