Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Using variables in a regular expressions Post 302113945 by PinkLemonade on Wednesday 11th of April 2007 10:31:32 AM
Old 04-11-2007
Power Thank You

I should have known that I had done it before last year or something, it didn't work in the test script, but it did work in the main script -- odd?!?

Anyways, I will mess with it later, if anyone could help me with a new issue. The resultant string in the larger script has spaces and will not be assigned to the variable properly, such as:

Carroll #064

I can insert the preceding double-quotes, such as:

$MRK="Carroll #064

, but how do I use sed to append text. All of the man pages I have read for various systems say:

a\
`text'

where the quoted text gets appended to the line. But how do I steer the lines to be added to? Is there a place for a regular expression to be added here? I have been messing around with it for awhile now also and have not figured out how this part of sed works.

I have tried since posting this and found various ways to butcher the file, every line in the file, or simply erase the file completely. Always a good time. I tried to use sed also to search to the end of the line and append it with something like s/^\$MRK*$/\$MRK*"/. Of course it doesn't work but I like the frustration of experimentation -- NOT!

Most of what I have needed to do with sed is the typical s/// and / d type of stuff with various regular expressions.

Thank you `awk' for the help it was difficult getting it into the script because the line actually was writing into part of another script to be run.

Last edited by PinkLemonade; 04-11-2007 at 12:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I'm trying to parse RichText to XML. I want to be able to capture everything between the '/par' tag in the RTF but not include the tag itself. So far all I have is this, '.*?\\par' but it leaves '\par' at the end of it. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AresMedia
1 Replies

2. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions variables in sed

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

how to find for a file whose name has all characters in uppercase after 'project'? I tried this: find . -name 'project**.pdf' ./projectABC.pdf ./projectABC123.pdf I want only ./projectABC.pdf What is the regular expression that correponds to "all characters are capital"? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)