Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ping loop
Special Forums IP Networking ping loop Post 302113886 by djbilly on Tuesday 10th of April 2007 11:56:03 PM
Old 04-11-2007
ping loop

i need to write a script that can loop through ej.192.162.0.0 to 192.162.0.256
find the ones that are connected and the ones not connected
write the name , ip address and connection status of each one in a file
to later use it in perl to create a web page with the information
thanks guys

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: infinant loop script - host ping test

need to check on some hosts and send an email if there status changes I wanna put together a script in bash that will allow me to check the up/down state of a single host via ping i want it to run in a continuous loop so I can just fire the script and forget about it(dont want cron to drive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping inside FOR loop

Hello, I'm trying to write (my own primitive) traceroute command that would write out all IPs that packets are hoping through. :) So I've put the ping command inside a for loop #!/bin/bash domain=${1-www.google.com}; #If no argument, then do www.google.com. for ((i=1; i<=30; i++)) #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: courteous
9 Replies

4. Programming

Perl Ping Loop

Hi All i have an issue with ping, we are using dhcp and so if the machine has been offline and i ping it, i get " ping: unknown host <hostname> is there a way i can stick a loop somewhere so it would keep trying when it got the unknown host error and then when the machine came back online... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

Loop in /24 Subnet, No ping beyond .1 and .2

Running 3650 switch. I have this odd issue where I cannot get 4 new Centos 7 boxes pinging out on public IPs (nor pinging in), only gateway .1 and first public IP .2 This is what I see, which doesn't look normal. How do I fix this? The server itself is configured fine (Centos 7) # cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashed
0 Replies
IFNDP-PROXY(5)						       Network configuration						    IFNDP-PROXY(5)

NAME
ifndp-proxy[-<interface name>] - IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy entries SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy /etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy-<interface name> DESCRIPTION
These files contain IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy settings, that should be applied using the ip neigh add proxy command documented in the ip(8) manual page that provides a common interface for IPv4 and IPv6. The NDP/ARP proxy is required, e.g. when IP addresses from the same subnet have to be used on the interface of the host as well as on interfaces behind a (tunnel) interface and using a bridge is not an option. Don't forget to enable forwarding and the NDP/ARP proxy by setting net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_ndp = 1 net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 and/or net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_arp = 1 net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 or net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 either as global all setting in the /etc/sysctl.conf file or using the ifsysctl(5) files, that allow per-interface setup. Forwarding can be also enabled in the /etc/sysconfig/sysctl file using the IP_FORWARD and IPV6_FORWARD variables. The proxy entries are added and deleted using the if-{up|down}.d/ndp-proxy script, every time after an involved interface has been set up or down. SYNTAX
The format of the ifndp-proxy file is: <address> <address interface> <proxy interface list> The format of the ifndp-proxy-<address interface> file is same to above, but allows also to omit the address interface by using a "-" as placeholder inside of the file, because it is already available in the file name: <address> <address interface | -> <proxy interface list> Lines beginning with # and blank lines are ignored. Each line defines to add a proxy NDP/ARP entry with the address of or behind address interface to all interfaces in the proxy interface list. EXAMPLES
Let's assume, your machine is connected via eth0 to a switch with the networks 2001:db8:abba::/64 and 192.168.100.1/24 and is using the IP address 1 itself. You'd like to use the addresses 11 and 12 e.g. for virtual machines behind the tap1 and tap2 interface, that is: 2001:db8:abba::1/64 -- local eth0 address 2001:db8:abba::11/64 -- address behind tap1 2001:db8:abba::12/64 -- address behind tap2 192.168.100.1/24 -- local eth0 address 192.168.100.11/24 -- address behind tap1 192.168.100.12/24 -- address behind tap2 then set up the following entries in the ifndp-proxy file: 2001:db8:abba::1 eth0 tap1 tap2 2001:db8:abba::11 tap1 eth0 tap2 2001:db8:abba::12 tap2 eth0 tap1 192.168.100.1 eth0 tap1 tap2 192.168.100.11 tap1 eth0 tap2 192.168.100.12 tap2 eth0 tap1 additionally to the routing entries in the routes or ifroute-<interface name> files. BUGS
Please report bugs at <https://bugzilla.novell.com/> AUTHOR
Marius Tomaschewski <mt@suse.de> SEE ALSO
ifup(8) ifcfg(5) ifsysctl(8) sysconfig December 2009 IFNDP-PROXY(5)