Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming reg adding Users into at.allow and removing from at.allow Post 302113767 by blowtorch on Tuesday 10th of April 2007 05:23:17 AM
Old 04-10-2007
You can use a small script for deletion as well. Use grep/sed/awk/ex to remove the unwanted userid, output to a temp file, move the temp file back over the at.allow file.

Something like:
Code:
grep -v "Bill" /var/adm/at.allow > /tmp/at.allow.$$
mv /tmp/at.allow.$$ /var/adm/at.allow

grep/sed will require that you create a temp file, ex will allow the actual at.allow file to be edited.
Code:
ex /var/adm/at.allow <<EOF
/Bill
d
wq
EOF

Will remove the id Bill from the /var/adm/at.allow file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding users

Anyone have a simple shell script that will prompt and accept screen input for each field that is required in the /etc/passwd file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash to users' input

Hi, I need to convert user-input from '(this)' to '\(this\)' before passing it to egrep. I've tried using TR, SED and NAWK to add the backslash, but the most I ever get is a backslash without a '(' or ')'. Any ideas? Thanks! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: netguy
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users to /etc/group

I'm using SAM to add users on an HP and they're adding fine. But in /etc/group it only lists the group names. It's not adding the users in there. Is there a way to have them put in there without going into SAM and modifying the group and adding them? I guess what I want to happen is when I add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golfhakker
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing users from sudoers - help needed

I'm trying to create a script to remove users from sudoers on multiple servers. I'm able to do this with a one-line script using sed, but only if it's on one server. Example: sed '/someuser/d' /host/local/etc/sudoers Also, I think the problem with this one-line script is that I would have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Name and Password List/adding and removing users.

Hello everyone and let me start off by thanking anyone who can help with this. I work for a company that uses Unix as one of their servers. I'm not at all familar with Unix beyond logging after I restart the server:rolleyes: I'm looking for some command that will bring me up a list of current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disgracedsaint
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users question

Hello there, I want to add new users to my system, so, being logged in as root I do useradd -m user_name, and the new user is added to the system. The problem is that it has more privileges than I expected. If I do su user_name then I am allowed to do cat /etc/passwd , so it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: help.goes.here
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Removing users from groups

How do I remove a user from a group? I'm using the usermod command but its not working. I have a user "abc" who is a member of the groups root and other. I'm trying to remove him from the group "other" (using CLI) which is his secondary group but it's not working. How do I do this? Is there any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
11 Replies

8. AIX

adding users via smit

I apologize if this is a simple/stupid question. When I add users in smit as root, many(most) of the fields are automatically popluated with some basic default values. Some other admins here have access to create users via sudo, however when they create users (sudo smit users), the user gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script for adding users

Hi guys, I've a simple linux script (made by my friend), which adds users to the system from userlist file. it also creates user home dir and copies certain files to the directory. To be honest, am a newbie in scripting so am unable to fully understand how the script is working. unfortunately,... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: vish6251
30 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding users from a txt fille

hello i'm making a bash script for adding users from a txt fille i have a basic script that adds users and their password . when you type the users by hand , now i want to upgrade my script with a txt file of users and their password , but i don't know how to start . my txt file looks... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roggy
10 Replies
userdel(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user's login from the system SYNOPSIS
userdel [-r] login DESCRIPTION
The userdel utility deletes a user account from the system and makes the appropriate account-related changes to the system file and file system. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r Remove the user's home directory from the system. This directory must exist. The files and directories under the home directory will no longer be accessible following successful execution of the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: login An existing login name to be deleted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the userdel command is displayed. 6 The account to be removed does not exist. 8 The account to be removed is in use. 10 Cannot update the /etc/group or /etc/user_attr file but the login is removed from the /etc/passwd file. 12 Cannot remove or otherwise modify the home directory. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/shadow system file contain users' encrypted passwords and related information /etc/group system file containing group definitions /etc/user_attr system file containing additional user attributes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), passwd(1), profiles(1), roles(1), users(1B), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The userdel utility only deletes an account definition that is in the local /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/user_attr file. file. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/passwd file with additional entries, userdel cannot change information supplied by the network name service. SunOS 5.10 8 Sep 1999 userdel(1M)