Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multihomed DNS Clients?
Special Forums IP Networking Multihomed DNS Clients? Post 302113711 by Perderabo on Monday 9th of April 2007 12:45:29 PM
Old 04-09-2007
This is a better topic than many people pick. We get a lot of "help me" or "problem" topics... Smilie

It only goes to the next nameserver if the first does not respond...they must be co-equals. With nsswitch.conf you can check a local host file first. So I have done this...

1 local host file

2 private dns server

3 private dns server uses normal dns protocol for domains for which it is not authorative.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multihomed Client

Hi, I am writing a socket program at the moment that uses both of the clients network interfaces. The program tries to create two socket connections to the server over a LAN connection and a GPRS connection. I have tried to update the routing table using the route command but that proved... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhynes
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Multihomed can not ping gateway

Hello this is my first post at this forum. Apologize for my lack of network understanding but Im posting to learn. I have a problem reaching default gateway 10.18.110.1 If I use my laptop I can ping 10.18.110.1 but with our red hat multihomed server the gateway does not respond to ping. cat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
11 Replies

4. IP Networking

HOWTO: Linux multihomed dns client

The Linux resolver queries all nameservers in the order they are listed in /etc/resolver.conf. If a nameserver times out, it advances on to the following nameserver. But, if a nameserver returns "not found" (NXDOMAIN) it stops. This behaviour is problematic when you need to resolve names from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multihomed server, eth1 not working

Hey everyone. We're in the process of deploying a number of servers. They're HP DL360 G6's. OS is RHEL 5.4 They've got two on board NIC's, as well as an additional dual port network card, giving us a total of 4 NIC's. Eth0 and Eth2 are bonded together using the bonding module, and the resulting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

HOWTO: Linux multihomed dns client - reverse lookup

The following thread is closed: 133552-howto-linux-multihomed-dns-client (Sorry I am not allowed to post URLs) Therefore I write this append in an own thread. The HOWTO in the referenced thread helped me a lot and I only want to append how to make reverse lookup working for a local zone: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scheruga
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
nsquery(1)						      General Commands Manual							nsquery(1)

NAME
nsquery - query the Name Service Switch backend libraries SYNOPSIS
lookup_type lookup_query [lookup_policy] DESCRIPTION
is used to find the Name Service that returned the response to a or function call. This application is Name Service Switch aware and fol- lows the lookup policies in The supported lookup_type values are: Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Used to resolve user name or UID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a UID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve user name lookups. Used to resolve UID lookups. Used to resolve group name or GID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a GID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve group name lookups. Used to resolve GID lookups. Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Only IPv6 and IPv4-mapped IPv6 address will be displayed for host name lookups. The lookup_query can either be a host name, IP Address (IPv4 only), user name, user ID, group name, or group ID. The lookup_policy must be a valid lookup policy described in nsswitch.conf(4). If the policy is invalid, the system default policy will be used. The default values for lookup_policy are: dns [NOTFOUND=return] nis [NOTFOUND=return] files files nis files nis dns [NOTFOUND=return] files will display the lookup policy being used, the name of the service being queried, and the result of the query. EXAMPLES
Lookup host hondo using the default hosts lookup policy. Lookup host with ip address 15.204.204.204 using "dns files" as the hosts lookup policy. Lookup user dog using "ldap" as the passwd lookup policy. Lookup user ID 105 using the default passwd lookup policy. Lookup group wayne using group lookup policy "nis [NOTFOUND=RETURN] files". Lookup group 22 using the default group lookup policy. Lookup host rio using "dns" as the ipnodes lookup policy. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Success. Invalid Usage. Unknown Action. No match found in any name services queried. WARNINGS
The and lookup_type values are to be obsoleted. For use or instead. For use or instead. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
nsswitch.conf(4). nsquery(1)