Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read/write socket error
Top Forums Programming read/write socket error Post 302113706 by gio on Monday 9th of April 2007 09:31:31 AM
Old 04-09-2007
read/write socket error

I have client and server connected.
client write and read from csock.
server write and read from ssock
suppose the server does :
close(ssock); //send FIN to client
othertask();

READ ERROR

if after the server close() the client does:
read(csock,...);
read(csock,...);
close(csock,...);
read(csock,...);

first read return 0 (read FIN)

second read also return 0.

third read return -1 with errno set to EBADF.

QUESTION 1:
Indeed if after the server close() the client does:
write(csock, "hello", 6); //server send RST
read(csock,...);
write(csock, ...);

first write return 6 without signaling nothing.

read return:
0 if the client read before the RST arrives.
-1 with errno set to ECONNRESET otherwise.

second write comports the SIGPIPE signal.
if it is ignored write return -1 and errno=EPIPE, otherwise it
comports the client termination.
is ok?

IS THE SITUATION THE SAME WHEN THE SERVER CRASH BEFORE THE CLIENT'S
FIRST WRITE?

QUESTION 2:
when read fails with errno=ENOTCONN?

QUESTION 3:
In general if I don't set the timeout option, is possible that a
read() fails with errno=ETIMEDOUT?

WRITE ERROR

when write fails and errno =ECONNRESET??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to Write Linux Friendly Async Socket I/O

I am presently refactoring a windows deamon with an eye towards porting it to linux someday. Presently the application uses a single background thread and asynchronous socket I/O to implement FTP and HTTP clients in a single switch statement (2000 lines and 100 cases just for the switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Can we write a multiple thread to receive from a single socket file descriptor

Hi Friends, I have written a program which will listener for more than 1000 requests per second from a single socket descriptor and then it will process those requestes. Its taking X amount of time. Now i want to reduce that time. Will I can write multiple threads to receive the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

5. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

6. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

7. Programming

Write-Write on a socket

Can anyone tell what happens if each end writes at the same time on the same socket ? - if one of them issues a read() after write() has completed, will it record into the buffer what the other sent ? ex. e1 writes to e2 - - - while - - - e2 writes to e1 (at the same time) e1 read () - what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gendaox
1 Replies

8. Programming

write on Non Blocking Socket

How to know whether socket is ready for write. select(maxfds, (fd_set *)NULL, &writefds, NULL, &timeout); By default socket is set for write without checking whether it would block or not? If so how do I know my FD is ready for writing. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and write to tcp socket

Hello all, I have a requirement to read and write to a tcp socket from an HP-UX shell script. I see a /dev/tcp character device on my servers: crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 72 0x00004f Mar 28 18:37 /dev/tcp So I believe this is what I should use. The problem is that all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

10. Programming

read from socket

hello I have a C program and I want to read data from a socket ,and especially I want a client to send a .jpg to the server.The problem I face is that no matter what the size of the photo is,my read command seems to read an amount of data and then does nothing. while(1){ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
4 Replies
nfsiod(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 nfsiod(8)

NAME
nfsiod, biod - The local NFS compatible asynchronous I/O daemon SYNOPSIS
nfsiod [ numthreads ] DESCRIPTION
The nfsiod daemon runs on an NFS compatible client machine and spawns several IO threads to service asynchronous I/O requests to its server. The I/O threads improve performance of both NFS reads and writes. Both try to enlist the aid of an idle I/O thread. If none is available, the process itself issues the request to the server and waits for the reply. The optimum number of I/O threads to run depends on many variables, such as how quickly the client will be writing, how many files will be accessed simultaneously, and the behaviour of the NFS server. For use with a Tru64 UNIX server, 7 is a good number of I/O threads for most systems. When reading, if the client believes the process is reading a file sequentially, it requests an I/O thread to read a block ahead of what the process is currently requesting. If the readahead completes before the process asks for that block, then the subsequent read system call for that data completes immediately and does not have to wait for the NFS request to complete. Read ahead will be triggered again so the read may find that next block available as well. When writing a file, the client takes the process's data, passes the request to an I/O thread and immediately returns to the process. If the process is writing data faster than the network or server can process, then eventually all the I/O threads become busy and the process has to handle a NFS write itself. This means the process has to wait until the server finishes the write. For Tru64 UNIX servers, the NFS block size is 8Kb and UFS tries to cluster I/O 64Kbs at a time. If the client is running with 7 I/O threads, 8 write requests can be in progress at once. This allows the client and server to write data 64Kbs at a time and is the reason for recommending 7 I/O threads. Unlike nfsd, each client thread can use either UDP or TCP. However, if TCP mounts are active, the nfsiod process will time out, close idle TCP connections, and acknowledge any connections closed by the server. The nfsiod process is also responsible for syncing the access time and modify times for special files and named pipes (fifos). Because I/O to these files does not go through the NFS server, NFS clients have to directly update the access time and modify time attributes. The client threads are implemented as kernel threads; they are part of Process ID 0, not the nfsiod process. The ps axml command displays idle I/O threads under PID 0. Idle threads will be waiting on nfsiod_wait. Therefore, if 7 I/O threads are configured, only 1 nfsiod process is displayed in the output from the ps command, although 7 client threads are available to handle NFS requests. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the file for logging NFS activity. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: nfsd(8), nfsstat(8) Daemons: async_daemon(2) delim off nfsiod(8)