Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting last 2 lines from the file. Post 302113493 by videsh77 on Friday 6th of April 2007 12:52:21 PM
Old 04-06-2007
Hi Vgersh

If I use the command you provided, it removes the last 2 records. But when this output is redirected to the other file, it shows the last 2 lines on the console & copies intended data to the file excluding last 2 records.

How to get rid of these last 2 appearing lines?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a log file

Is there an easy way to delete the first so many lines in a log file? like I have a log file that has 10000 lines, i want to just get rid of the first 9000. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines ending with . from a file

HI I'm looking to delete lines ending with .tk from below data file --------- abc.tk mgm.tk dtk mgmstk ------ I have written below code ---- sed '/.tk *$/d' dat_file.txt > temp.txt ---- But its deleting all the lines ending with tk. I need to delete only the lines ending .tk my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting certain new lines from a file with shell

Good morning!!! Im a newbie with shell programing and i was wondering if there is a way to delete certain new lines from a file, here is an example of my current file: >seq_0 GTGAGATTGCTAATGAGCTGCTTTTAGGGGGCGTGTTGTGCTTGCTTTCC AACTTTTCTAGATTGATTCTACGCTGCCTCCAGCAGCCACCCCTCCCATC... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: machalita
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Deleting lines from big file.

Hi, I have a big (2.7 GB) text file. Each lines has '|' saperator to saperate each columns. I want to delete those lines which has text like '|0|0|0|0|0' I tried: sed '/|0|0|0|0|0/d' test.txt Unfortunately, it scans the file but does nothing. file content sample:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines in a file

Hello, I have a file filled with dates, such as: 04-08-2011 message 04-08-2011 message 03-08-2011 message 01-08-2011 message 31-07-2011 message 24-07-2011 message 15-07-2011 message 13-12-2008 message 26-11-2007 message And I want to delete those lines whose date is older than 10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting selected lines in a file

Hi Guys , I have two files say a1 and a2 having following contents a1 dag wfd a2 dag wfd chire hcm I want to delete only the lines in a2 which are in a1 and final output of a2 should be a2 chire hcm (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
6 Replies
acctcon(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       acctcon(1M)

NAME
acctcon, acctcon1, acctcon2 - connect-time accounting SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/acct/acctcon [-l lineuse] [-o reboot] /usr/lib/acct/acctcon1 [-p] [-t] [-l lineuse] [-o reboot] /usr/lib/acct/acctcon2 DESCRIPTION
acctcon converts a sequence of login/logoff records to total accounting records (see the tacct format in acct.h(3HEAD)). The login/logoff records are read from standard input. The file /var/adm/wtmpx is usually the source of the login/logoff records; however, because it might contain corrupted records or system date changes, it should first be fixed using wtmpfix. The fixed version of file /var/adm/wtmpx can then be redirected to acctcon. The tacct records are written to standard output. acctcon is a combination of the programs acctcon1 and acctcon2. acctcon1 converts login/logoff records, taken from the fixed /var/adm/wtmpx file, to ASCII output. acctcon2 reads the ASCII records produced by acctcon1 and converts them to tacct records. acctcon1 can be used with the -l and -o options, described below, as well as with the -p and -t options. OPTIONS
-p Print input only, showing line name, login name, and time (in both numeric and date/time formats). -t acctcon1 maintains a list of lines on which users are logged in. When it reaches the end of its input, it emits a session record for each line that still appears to be active. It normally assumes that its input is a current file, so that it uses the current time as the ending time for each session still in progress. The -t flag causes it to use, instead, the last time found in its input, thus assuring reasonable and repeatable numbers for non-current files. -l lineuse lineuse is created to contain a summary of line usage showing line name, number of minutes used, percentage of total elapsed time used, number of sessions charged, number of logins, and number of logoffs. This file helps track line usage, identify bad lines, and find software and hardware oddities. Hangup, termination of login(1) and termination of the login shell each generate logoff records, so that the number of logoffs is often three to four times the number of sessions. See init(1M) and utmpx(4). -o reboot reboot is filled with an overall record for the accounting period, giving starting time, ending time, number of reboots, and number of date changes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the acctcon command. The acctcon command is typically used as follows: example% acctcon -l lineuse -o reboots < tmpwtmp > ctacct The acctcon1 and acctcon2 commands are typically used as follows: example% acctcon1 -l lineuse -o reboots < tmpwtmp | sort +1n +2 > ctmp example% acctcon2 < ctmp > ctacct FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx History of user access and administration information ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acctcom(1), login(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), fwtmp(1M), init(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct.h(3HEAD), utmpx(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The line usage report is confused by date changes. Use wtmpfix (see fwtmp(1M)), with the /var/adm/wtmpx file as an argument, to correct this situation. During a single invocation of any given command, the acctcon, acctcon1, and acctcon2 commands can process a maximum of: o 6000 distinct session o 1000 distinct terminal lines o 2000 distinct login names If at some point the actual number of any one of these items exceeds the maximum, the command will not succeed. SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 acctcon(1M)