Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot do this simple thing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cannot do this simple thing Post 302113369 by tantric on Thursday 5th of April 2007 01:28:18 PM
Old 04-05-2007
Thanks Johnf !! that worked.. !! Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb thing to do

I'm writing for a friend. He has a SPARC system at home that has Solaris 7 on it. He did not yet create a user on it and has not set the CONSOLE to allow the root user to log in remotely. Now, something happened and the system will not even boot to the Boot PROM. How can he get into the system... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

very simple shell thing..

set a = 5 set b = a echo $b a // will print a I want to get echo ${$b} // something expression like this to get value of 'a' by accessing the value of b. 5 ie. fetching the value of a with the inputs of b ( frm b --thro a ---5) Is it possible to execute something like this? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shortcut thing?

Hey, im new to Linux...totally new. I know there is a way to assign a type of variable or something to a directory, so instead of having to type "cd /var/www" etc, I could just assign a variable to the directory, so I could just do "cd $assignedvar" and it would be there...if you get what I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
0 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Ok another small thing if anyone knows...

Hi i wanna change the look of my terminal. For example i wanted a black background and like a cyan colored text so it stands out against the black. Is there anyway i can do this?. I am running Mac OSX if that helps any at all (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep related thing

Is there any way i can use grep to do this I have file which is continuously growing,I want grep to star search from say line number 1210 is that possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

need some help on this jolicloud thing??PLease help !!!!

i am not used to linux ubuntu... i get the same error code while booting from jolicloud.... can you help, please??????? i can't directly installed it because everytime i tried it, installation panel freezes, so i waited and it booted from live cd.... i tried to install jolicloud... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemdede@hotmail
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between two cmmands that did the same thing

Hello everybody, Can you please help me unerstand the difference between: # grep word_we_are_looking_for /directory/file and # more /directory/file |grep word_we_are_looking_for I know that the result is the same. Thank you for your help. Please use next time code tags for your... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
5 Replies
fddist(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							fddist(1m)

NAME
fddist - file descriptor usage distributions. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
fddist [-r|-w] DESCRIPTION
This prints distributions for read and write events by file descriptor, by process. This can be used to determine which file descriptor a process is doing the most I/O with. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-r reads only -w writes only EXAMPLES
Sample both read and write activity, # fddist Sample reads only, # fddist -r FIELDS
EXEC process name PID process ID value file descriptor count number of events BASED ON
/usr/demo/dtrace/lquantize.d DOCUMENTATION
DTrace Guide "Aggregations" chapter (docs.sun.com) See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
fddist will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M) version 0.70 Jun 08, 2005 fddist(1m)