Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: passing variable to function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers passing variable to function Post 302113305 by cfajohnson on Thursday 5th of April 2007 12:49:58 AM
Old 04-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotty
I am trying to sum up numbered columns and in order to tidy up the program I have wrote a function to do the adding of some numbers. I have a problem though with passing a variable to the function in the UNIX bash shell. The function only gives the first number in the variable list and does not add the rest. Can a variable not be passed to the function or am I missing something quite obvious here. The function that I wrote and the function call is shown below;

function add_num () {
sum=0
for NUM in $1
do
sum=`expr $sum + $NUM`
done
}

I call this function by function_name Variable_name as so:
add_num $column1
add_num $column2
If you want a running total that is increased with every call to the function, don't reset sum to 0:

Code:
add_num()
{
  sum=${sum:-0} ## set to 0 only if sum is empty
  for num
  do
    sum=$(( $sum + $num ))
  done 
}

That assumes that the contents of your variable is something like:
column1="12 34 56 78 90"

If you want to add columns in a file, use awk:
Code:
awk '{
   column1 += $1
   column2 += $2
}
END {
  print "Column1: " column1
  print "Column2: " column2
}' FILE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable name to be created within a function

Is it possible to pass a variable name, as a parameter to a function, so it can be created within this function ? Something like this: func_uppercase abcdefgh var_name where the 1st parameter is the string I want to convert and the 2nd is the desired variable name... $2=`echo "$1" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from function with '*'

Hi I have a shell function which returns string(ksh). The string is an sql statement. This statement can have '*' in its content (i.e. select 100 / 2 *100 from dual). When this happens ret_str will have contents of current directry I run the script from build in sql. Is there any way to fix it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable content to a function

following on from below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 i will be using file reading in while loop say for example while read line123 do echo "line read is $line123" insert_funct $line123 done< mysqldump.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies
sum(n)							     Cyclic Redundancy Checks							    sum(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
sum - Calculate a sum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require sum ?1.1.0? ::crc::sum ?-bsd | -sysv? ?-format fmt? ?-chunksize size? [ -filename file | -channel chan | string ] _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the sum(1) command which calculates a 16 bit checksum value from the input data. The BSD sum algorithm is used by default but the SysV algorithm is also available. COMMANDS
::crc::sum ?-bsd | -sysv? ?-format fmt? ?-chunksize size? [ -filename file | -channel chan | string ] The command takes string data or a file name or a channel and returns a checksum value calculated using the sum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-sysv The SysV algorithm is fairly naive. The byte values are summed and any overflow is discarded. The lowest 16 bits are returned as the checksum. Input with the same content but different ordering will give the same result. -bsd This algorithm is similar to the SysV version but includes a bit rotation step which provides a dependency on the order of the data values. -filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -channel chan Return a checksum for the contents of the specified channel. The channel must be open for reading and should be configured for binary translation. The channel will no be closed on completion. -chunksize size Set the block size used when reading data from either files or channels. This value defaults to 4096. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::sum "Hello, World!" 37287 % crc::sum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x91A7 % crc::sum -file sum.tcl 13392 AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category crc of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
cksum(n), crc32(n), sum(1) KEYWORDS
checksum, cksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security, sum CATEGORY
Hashes, checksums, and encryption COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts <patthoyts@users.sourceforge.net> crc 1.1.0 sum(n)