Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process Post 302113236 by OFFSIHR on Wednesday 4th of April 2007 09:33:55 AM
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks for your command Sysgate it seems I get a lot of old processes that are hanging around such as
Code:
00:04:25 root     Feb28  0.0  6245     1 ?        /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/bin/db2fmcd
00:03:55 root     Feb28  0.0    55     1 ?        [kswapd0]
00:01:46 root     Feb28  0.0  5834     1 ?        /usr/sbin/nscd
00:00:27 root     Feb28  0.0  2185     3 ?        [reiserfs/0]
00:00:12 root     Mar29  0.0 28598     1 ?        /home/hub/staff/ss/cb/bin/mfs2
00:00:12 hub      13:44  0.1 32049 30759 pts/0    top
00:00:04 root     Feb28  0.0     1     0 ?        init [5]
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0 13669  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0  6127  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0  6126  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0  6125  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0  6124  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 wwwrun   Feb28  0.0  6123  6122 ?        /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
00:00:00 root     Mar29  0.0 28451     1 ?        /home/hub/staff/ss/cb/bin/ejl32
00:00:00 root     Mar20  0.0 19441 19430 ?        /opt/kde3/bin/kdm_greet
00:00:00 root     Mar20  0.0 19430  5878 ?        -:0
00:00:00 root     Mar20  0.0 19429  5878 ?        /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br vt7 -auth /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-jcbx9Z
00:00:00 root     Feb28  0.0  6250     1 ?        ./mflm_manager
00:00:00 root     Feb28  0.0  6244     1 tty6     /sbin/mingetty tty6
00:00:00 root     Feb28  0.0  6243     1 tty5     /sbin/mingetty tty5

They don't seem to have been processes that would have kicked in and changed the cpu Idle of the vmstat report. Am I missing something?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top shows stopped process

When I run the top command, it shows 1 process as being Stopped. This is not a zombie, but simply a stopped process. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell which process this is, nor why it is in a stopped state? Any way of finding this out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IrishRogue
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

process grepping returns itself

I am trying to write a script to make a ssh tunnel persist. I am writing it to check the existence of the tunnel on port 3307 and if it is not found start it: #!/usr/local/bin/bash # ~/my_tunnel.sh tunnel_up=`ps ax|grep 3307` if ; then ssh -fNg -C -L 3307:127.0.0.1:3306... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smtpgeek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to be sure that's the good Process ?

Hi there, First, must said sorry for my bad english : hope to be understood. I work on HP-UX and need to work with specific processus. In order to migrate to other system with the less work as possible (portability) i must write a script that verify if a processus B is a son of a processus A.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fung999
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rollover/compress log from ACTIVE process

I have some Solaris processes that run weeks at a time that create rather large log files that I would like to archive/compress daily. Instead of stopping the process, what can be done so that the log file is backed up and shrunk, but the process can still log to the open file handle without major... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q's on Active Process Time

Is it possible to display active processes' Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Second info of process start time ? Preferbly in the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" ? I tried to do this with the ps command but it only gets the time or date. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

7. High Performance Computing

showq shows less active nodes as normal

Hi, I am new in system administration. I observe that some nodes in our cluster are not considered as active by showq: 22 active jobs 217 of 257 processors in use by local jobs (84.44%) 15 of 17 nodes active (88.24%) but then I try to log into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: armando_2011
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop script shows more than one process

Hi, I have a script which triggers an infinite loop. #!bin/bash trig=`ls /home/trig.tch |wc -l` function callj { some commands... } while do callj & done The number of process after doing a ps -ef |grep Mon.sh returns processes even after the script is killed by deleting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find blocked process in vmstat?

Hi, How to find which processes are blocked? b column in vmstat shows higher values some times(approximately 30 min) bash-3.2# vmstat 1 10 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr m1 m1 m1 m2 in sy cs us... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshsun
3 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat -- report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-afHhimPsz] [-M core [-N system]] [-c count] [-n devs] [-p type,if,pass] [-w wait] [disks ...] [wait [count]] DESCRIPTION
The vmstat utility reports certain kernel statistics kept about process, virtual memory, disk, trap and cpu activity. If the -M option is not specified, information is obtained from the currently running kernel via the sysctl(3) interface. Otherwise, infor- mation is read from the specified core file, using the name list from the specified kernel image (or from the default image). The options are as follows: -a When used with -i, include statistics about interrupts that have never been generated. -c Repeat the display count times. The first display is for the time since a reboot and each subsequent report is for the time period since the last display. If no repeat count is specified, and -w is specified, the default is infinity, otherwise the default is one. -f Report on the number fork(2), vfork(2) and rfork(2) system calls since system startup, and the number of pages of virtual memory involved in each. -h Changes memory columns into more easily human readable form. The default if standard output is a terminal device. -H Changes memory columns into straight numbers. The default if standard output is not a terminal device (such as a script). -i Report on the number of interrupts taken by each device since system startup. -M Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core. -N If -M is also specified, extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default, which is the kernel image the system has booted from. -m Report on the usage of kernel dynamic memory allocated using malloc(9) by type. -n Change the maximum number of disks to display from the default of 2. -P Report per-cpu system/user/idle cpu statistics. -p Specify which types of devices to display. There are three different categories of devices: device type: da Direct Access devices sa Sequential Access devices printer Printers proc Processor devices worm Write Once Read Multiple devices cd CD devices scanner Scanner devices optical Optical Memory devices changer Medium Changer devices comm Communication devices array Storage Array devices enclosure Enclosure Services devices floppy Floppy devices interface: IDE Integrated Drive Electronics devices SCSI Small Computer System Interface devices other Any other device interface passthrough: pass Passthrough devices The user must specify at least one device type, and may specify at most one device type from each category. Multiple device types in a single device type statement must be separated by commas. Any number of -p arguments may be specified on the command line. All -p arguments are ORed together to form a matching expression against which all devices in the system are compared. Any device that fully matches any -p argument will be included in the vmstat output, up to two devices, or the maximum number of devices specified by the user. -s Display the contents of the sum structure, giving the total number of several kinds of paging related events which have occurred since system startup. -w Pause wait seconds between each display. If no repeat wait interval is specified, the default is 1 second. The vmstat command will accept and honor a non-integer number of seconds. -z Report on memory used by the kernel zone allocator, uma(9), by zone. The wait and count arguments may be given after their respective flags at any point on the command line before the disks argument(s), or without their flags, as the final argument(s). The latter form is accepted for backwards compatibility, but it is preferred to use the forms with -w and -c to avoid ambiguity. By default, vmstat displays the following information: procs Information about the numbers of processes in various states. r in run queue b blocked for resources (i/o, paging, etc.) w runnable or short sleeper (< 20 secs) but swapped memory Information about the usage of virtual and real memory. Virtual pages (reported in units of 1024 bytes) are considered active if they belong to processes which are running or have run in the last 20 seconds. avm active virtual pages fre size of the free list page Information about page faults and paging activity. These are averaged each five seconds, and given in units per second. flt total number of page faults re page reclaims (simulating reference bits) pi pages paged in po pages paged out fr pages freed per second sr pages scanned by clock algorithm, per-second disks Disk operations per second (this field is system dependent). Typically paging will be split across the available drives. The header of the field is the first two characters of the disk name and the unit number. If more than two disk drives are configured in the system, vmstat displays only the first two drives, unless the user specifies the -n argument to increase the number of drives dis- played. This will probably cause the display to exceed 80 columns, however. To force vmstat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. The vmstat utility defaults to show disks first, and then various other random devices in the system to add up to two devices, if there are that many devices in the system. If devices are specified on the command line, or if a device type matching pattern is specified (see above), vmstat will only display the given devices or the devices matching the pat- tern, and will not randomly select other devices in the system. faults Trap/interrupt rate averages per second over last 5 seconds. in device interrupts per interval (including clock interrupts) sy system calls per interval cs cpu context switch rate (switches/interval) cpu Breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time. us user time for normal and low priority processes sy system time id cpu idle FILES
/boot/kernel/kernel default kernel namelist /dev/kmem default memory file EXAMPLES
The command: vmstat -w 5 will print what the system is doing every five seconds; this is a good choice of printing interval since this is how often some of the sta- tistics are sampled in the system. Others vary every second and running the output for a while will make it apparent which are recomputed every second. The command: vmstat -p da -p cd -w 1 will tell vmstat to select the first two direct access or CDROM devices and display statistics on those devices, as well as other systems statistics every second. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), systat(1), libmemstat(3), gstat(8), iostat(8), pstat(8), sysctl(8), malloc(9), uma(9) The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.3BSD. BUGS
The -c and -w options are only available with the default output. BSD
August 8, 2014 BSD