Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I pass a variable to awk? Post 302113097 by eja on Tuesday 3rd of April 2007 12:51:47 PM
Old 04-03-2007
How do I pass a variable to awk?

I have an awk statement where I Need to pass an environment variable but I cannot get it to work:

My evironment varible examples below:
$FILE1=/dev/fs/file.new
$FILE2=/dev/fs/file.old

Code below:

awk -F"|" '
BEGIN {
while( getline < "$FILE1" )
{ arr[$1]=1 }
}
arr[($1)] != 1 { print }
' $FILE2

I cannot hard code the file names into the awk statement. I need to apss the file name as a varibale. but my above awk is not reading $FILE1 as the value it is defined as in the environment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pass variable to awk

i would like to pass a variable to awk wherein the variable comes from external loop. i tried this... let x=0 until test $x -eq 32 do cat file | awk '{ print $1 , "Number" , $($x) }' >> output done thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable to Awk ?

I am trying to pass 2 shell variable's ("START" and "END") define earlier in the script to this awk statement, but i can't seem to pass it on. PLs help. set START = xxxx set END = yyyy set selected_file = `awk '/$START/,/$END/' filename` (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
24 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass script variable value to AWK

HI all, some more mistery about AWK, I hope you can help me out: 1) I have a normal ksh script and sometime I call awk command. I set some variables in the script and I would like to use them up within AWK as well. Unfortunately AWK seems to forget all the variable values outside of its own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BearCheese
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass Shell script variable to awk

Hi, I have a shell script with an ambedded awk script. i need to pass a script variable to the awk script. Please help. Thanks in advance Himani (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to pass variable from awk to shell script

Hello experts, can I return a value from gawk to a shell script ? My script as follows, #Here I want the num value to shell script so that I can use later gawk ' { split($0,num,","); print num }' gawk -v no=$number '{print no}' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a Awk variable to another script

Read parameter from a text file with one line which stored the date value like 20080831; below is the awk command I used gawk -F, "{getline RunDate;print $RunDate" text file When print $RunDate, it display 20080831 Would like to pass this variable to another script to use but not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbauw
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh variable pass to awk

I'm trying to store the response from a nawk command inside of a ksh script. The command is: text=$(nawk -F: '$1 ~ /${imgArray}/ {print $2}' ${etcDir}/captions.txt) From what I can tell, the imgArray variable is not being expanding when it is inside the single quote ('). Is there something I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meman1188
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass a variable from shell to awk

I know this topic has been dealt with previously, but the solutions I've seen don't work for me apparently. I need to pass a variable defined in the shell to one in awk: $ echo $var1 3 $ cat aaa aaa 1 bbb 2 ccc 3 ddd 4 eee 5I've tried this, without success: $ awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass an awk variable to kill

Does anyone know of a way to do something similar to this with awk and kill? I want to create the variable in awk and pass that variable to kill. ps -ef | grep -i chromium | awk '{$2=x}' | kill -9 $x 2>/dev/null (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass shell Variable to awk

Hello, May i please know how do i pass the shell variable to awk expression in the below script. It is returning null #!/bin/bash UNINUM=720922 UNINUM_DESC=`awk -F'|' -v UNINUM=$2 '/UNINUM/ {print $4}' datafile` echo $UNINUM_DESC datafile 4|First|720194|asdasdad 4|First|720735|asdasdsa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
8 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress lines unique to FILE1 -2 suppress lines unique to FILE2 -3 suppress lines that appear in both files --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report comm bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 COMM(1)