Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming chpass subroutine not updating NIS Post 302112794 by rmm47 on Friday 30th of March 2007 10:30:00 AM
Old 03-30-2007
Apparently this is the nature of NIS. Found it to work if on the master but not when on the clients. The passwd command behaves the same way. It looks like there may be more support for password expiration and such in more recent versions of NIS+ in AIX 5.3 but we aren't there yet so have not tested it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

6. AIX

Using the passwdpolicy() subroutine.

Okay, so in AIX, there are various subroutines that is built in to the OS. The subroutine is I want to use is passwdpolicy(). So I want to construct a C program that will be able to pass credentials into the program and thusly into the subroutine. I'm not asking for homework, or for someone to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
0 Replies

7. Programming

Subroutine Hung

Hi friends I am Administrator for a system works with uinx OS but, many times I get messages from server console inform me about Subroutine is Hanging so what can I do to reset this Subroutine? Note: always when I got that I restart the server but I think that is not professional solution. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts not updating from subroutine.

So, I'm running a script with a couple of subroutines, one of which takes arguments using getopts. The first time i call the subroutine everything works as expected, the second time I call it none of the arguments change. Here's a small section of code that shows this behavior. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhibbit
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Subroutine

Okay I have a 1TB drive that is almost completely full with vids. I am in the process of converting them to mp4. I have two scripts right now. One is a shell script to convert them with Handbrake. The other is a script to get a sort of progress report. To make things easier to understand, I will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalton63841
0 Replies
ypmake(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 ypmake(8)

NAME
ypmake - rebuild Network Information Service (NIS) database using the make command SYNOPSIS
cd /var/yp make [options] [map] OPTIONS
The options argument can be used to override the default values of three special variables used by make: Instructs make to use the source files in the specified directory. The default is /var/yp/src. Instructs make to construct a domain other than the master's default domain. The DOM variable in the /var/yp/Makefile file must be set to the domain name before running make. If you run ypsetup, the DOM variable is set when you specify a domain name. Specifies the database routines used to store NIS maps. The choices are: btree -- Recommended when creating and maintaining very large maps. dbm/ndbm -- For backward compatibility. This is the default. hash -- A potentially quicker method for managing small maps. When non-null inhibits updating of the new database files using the yppush(8) function. The default is the null string. To override the default values of these special variables, an options argument format of special_variable = value is used. See the EXAM- PLES section for an example. The map argument supplied on the command line instructs make to update only the specified map. The specified maps are those located at /var/yp/{domain}, where {domain} is the NIS domain name. Some typical entries for the map argument are passwd, hosts, and networks. Typing make passwd creates and updates the NIS password database, if it is out of date. The make command distributes the updated password database to the slave servers using yppush(8). Therefore, typing make host or make networks creates and updates the host and network files, /var/yp/src/hosts and /var/yp/src/networks, respectively, on the master and slave servers. See ypfiles(4) and ypserv(8) for an overview of NIS. DESCRIPTION
The make command uses the /var/yp/Makefile file to build an NIS database. With no arguments, make creates databases for any NIS maps that are out-of-date, and then executes yppush(8) to notify slave servers that there has been a change. Note Execute the make command only at an NIS master server machine. If it is executed from either a slave server or an NIS client machine, the created changes will only be overwritten when the next NIS master server machine update, using ypxfr(8), is performed. RESTRICTIONS
You must use the same database format for each map in a domain. In addition, a server serving multiple NIS domains must use the same data- base format for all domains. Although a Tru64 UNIX NIS server that takes advantage of btree files will be able to store very large maps, NIS slave servers that lack this feature might have a much smaller limit on the number of map entries they can handle. It may not be possible to distribute very large maps from a Tru64 UNIX NIS master server to a slave server that lacks support for very large maps. NIS clients are not affected by these enhancements. EXAMPLES
This example causes make to create a password NIS map for the domain NewDomain instead of for the default domain: make DOM=NewDomain passwd SEE ALSO
Commands: make(1), makedbm(8), yppush(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: ypfiles(4) ypmake(8)